Kaiser Permanente's CIO Aims to Make Healthcare More Delightful
CIO - With the U.S. Supreme Court now debating the fate of the so-called 'Obamacare' legislation passed in 2010, healthcare has been much in the news of late -- and not much of the news about healthcare is very good. That is, unless you're talking to Philip Fasano, executive vice president and CIO of Kaiser Permanente, the giant Oakland, CA-based integrated health system. Fasano, whose IT organization has delivered on a multi-billion dollar electronic medical records initiative, believes that healthcare's greatest days are ahead thanks to the rapid infusion of technology. In fact, Fasano thinks -- dare we say it -- that your healthcare provider should be in the business of delighting you.
In this latest installment of our CIO Interview Series, Fasano spoke with IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant about how the electronic records 'bet' has paid off for Kaiser Permanente and its roughly 9 million customers and patients, and how social and mobile technologies will advance the effort. He offers hard-won advice on making big tech projects successful and talks about what it means for CIOs to be the 'CEO' of their organizations.
Fasano is a member of the CIO Executive Council, IDG Enterprise's peer-based global community of leading CIOs. Click here for more information on the Council.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Healthcare Firm Ramps Up for Claims Processing Spikes Huge increases in claims processing loads and stringent SLAs for Medicaid patients prompted Molina Healthcare to enhance their IT infrastructure with VCE.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Healthcare IT White Papers | Webcasts