Kaiser Permanente's CIO Aims to Make Healthcare More Delightful
CIO - With the U.S. Supreme Court now debating the fate of the so-called 'Obamacare' legislation passed in 2010, healthcare has been much in the news of late -- and not much of the news about healthcare is very good. That is, unless you're talking to Philip Fasano, executive vice president and CIO of Kaiser Permanente, the giant Oakland, CA-based integrated health system. Fasano, whose IT organization has delivered on a multi-billion dollar electronic medical records initiative, believes that healthcare's greatest days are ahead thanks to the rapid infusion of technology. In fact, Fasano thinks -- dare we say it -- that your healthcare provider should be in the business of delighting you.
In this latest installment of our CIO Interview Series, Fasano spoke with IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant about how the electronic records 'bet' has paid off for Kaiser Permanente and its roughly 9 million customers and patients, and how social and mobile technologies will advance the effort. He offers hard-won advice on making big tech projects successful and talks about what it means for CIOs to be the 'CEO' of their organizations.
Fasano is a member of the CIO Executive Council, IDG Enterprise's peer-based global community of leading CIOs. Click here for more information on the Council.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars...
- Email Security Checklist: Eight Steps for Healthcare Organizations Don't let fear of violating Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) codes prevent you from using email to communicate sensitive information.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Healthcare IT White Papers | Webcasts