Macworld - When being a do-gooder grows boring, why not switch teams? That's the route Liv Games takes with Monster Wars, an evil-themed sequel to the developer's popular tower defense game Legendary Wars.
In Monster Wars, you rally the forces of darkness to smite goodness in real-time engagements across three-lane battlefields. Using goblins to mine gold lets you summon your forces into the fray and make crucial upgrades to increase their killing potential. Frequently cycling objectives keep the ebb and flow of combat interesting, as do the more powerful units you unlock along the way. While populating your nefarious army with ghouls, undead knights, and demonic dragons instead of heroes is a neat twist, the gameplay itself doesn't stray far from its predecessor.
The beautifully cartoonish hand-drawn artwork makes Monster Wars a real looker, but lingering control issues prove to be an unwanted distraction at times. Juggling larger groups of undead troops is problematic. Units don't always respond precisely to your touch-based commands, leading to sporadic traffic jams, random direction changes, and costly missteps.
Though it retains much of the depth and style of its predecessor, Monster Wars also struggles with a few of the same weaknesses that limit the fun gained from being wicked.
Nathan Meunier is a freelance writer based in southern Vermont.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts