Macworld - When being a do-gooder grows boring, why not switch teams? That's the route Liv Games takes with Monster Wars, an evil-themed sequel to the developer's popular tower defense game Legendary Wars.
In Monster Wars, you rally the forces of darkness to smite goodness in real-time engagements across three-lane battlefields. Using goblins to mine gold lets you summon your forces into the fray and make crucial upgrades to increase their killing potential. Frequently cycling objectives keep the ebb and flow of combat interesting, as do the more powerful units you unlock along the way. While populating your nefarious army with ghouls, undead knights, and demonic dragons instead of heroes is a neat twist, the gameplay itself doesn't stray far from its predecessor.
The beautifully cartoonish hand-drawn artwork makes Monster Wars a real looker, but lingering control issues prove to be an unwanted distraction at times. Juggling larger groups of undead troops is problematic. Units don't always respond precisely to your touch-based commands, leading to sporadic traffic jams, random direction changes, and costly missteps.
Though it retains much of the depth and style of its predecessor, Monster Wars also struggles with a few of the same weaknesses that limit the fun gained from being wicked.
Nathan Meunier is a freelance writer based in southern Vermont.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts