Facebook looks to connect patients with organ donors
Zuckerberg says social net users can update Timeline with donor status
Computerworld - Facebook launched a new tool today that co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg hopes will help connect patients with needed organ donors.
Zuckerberg announced in an interview on Good Morning America that starting today, users in the U.S. and the U.K. will be able to note in their Timeline that they're organ donors. They also will be able to find links to organ donor registries and easily sign up.
"Facebook is really about communicating and telling stories," Zuckerberg said. "We think that people can really help spread awareness of organ donation and that they want to participate in this to their friends. And that can be a big part of helping solve the crisis that's out there."
The Facebook co-founder said he decided to work on this project in part because of conversations he had with his girlfriend, Priscilla Chan, a medical student. However, he said he was also influenced by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' health crisis and the liver transplant that extended Jobs' life.
Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2003. He received a liver transplant in 2009 and died Oct. 5, 2011.
The announcement comes as Facebook is believed to be just weeks away from its initial public offering .
It was generally expected that the social network's highly anticipated IPO would launch in mid-May but then reports hit that two high-priced acquisitions - the purchase of Instagram and a separate acquisition of former AOL patents --could be distracting company executives enough to delay Facebook's IPO.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts