Facebook looks to connect patients with organ donors
Zuckerberg says social net users can update Timeline with donor status
Computerworld - Facebook launched a new tool today that co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg hopes will help connect patients with needed organ donors.
Zuckerberg announced in an interview on Good Morning America that starting today, users in the U.S. and the U.K. will be able to note in their Timeline that they're organ donors. They also will be able to find links to organ donor registries and easily sign up.
"Facebook is really about communicating and telling stories," Zuckerberg said. "We think that people can really help spread awareness of organ donation and that they want to participate in this to their friends. And that can be a big part of helping solve the crisis that's out there."
The Facebook co-founder said he decided to work on this project in part because of conversations he had with his girlfriend, Priscilla Chan, a medical student. However, he said he was also influenced by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' health crisis and the liver transplant that extended Jobs' life.
Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2003. He received a liver transplant in 2009 and died Oct. 5, 2011.
The announcement comes as Facebook is believed to be just weeks away from its initial public offering .
It was generally expected that the social network's highly anticipated IPO would launch in mid-May but then reports hit that two high-priced acquisitions - the purchase of Instagram and a separate acquisition of former AOL patents --could be distracting company executives enough to delay Facebook's IPO.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts