Cargo Firm's Social Network Speeds Up Problem Resolution
CIO - THE COMPANY :: Orient Overseas Container Line
THE PROJECT :: Implement an enterprise social network to resolve shipping exceptions at Orient Overseas Container Line (OOCL), a Hong Kong-based container shipping and logistics service provider.
THE BUSINESS CASE :: Unforeseen shipping exceptions -- any situation that causes a delivery to be rescheduled -- are a fact of life in logistics, and for one of the world's largest container transportation companies, such issues can be complex, involving trains, trucks and cargo ships. "This is not the FedEx world," says OOCL CIO Steve Siu. "There are multiple companies involved." Poorly managed exceptions lead to unhappy customers and lost business. OOCL used a hodgepodge of communication tools -- phone calls, faxes, email -- to manage shipping exceptions. With employees at more than 280 offices in 55 countries, information was scattered and problem resolution inefficient. Siu reasoned that a social network could bring all essential parties -- and their information -- into a single, speedy system.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Move Mission-Critical Apps to the Cloud with AWS and F5 Read this paper to learn about adoption inhibitors of the cloud, potential solutions, and how advanced Application Delivery Controller (ADC) technologies are critical...
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Start with a Data Lake. End with Business Value. Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and...
- Store Everything. Analyze Anything, Build the Right Thing. The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts