Cargo Firm's Social Network Speeds Up Problem Resolution
CIO - THE COMPANY :: Orient Overseas Container Line
THE PROJECT :: Implement an enterprise social network to resolve shipping exceptions at Orient Overseas Container Line (OOCL), a Hong Kong-based container shipping and logistics service provider.
THE BUSINESS CASE :: Unforeseen shipping exceptions -- any situation that causes a delivery to be rescheduled -- are a fact of life in logistics, and for one of the world's largest container transportation companies, such issues can be complex, involving trains, trucks and cargo ships. "This is not the FedEx world," says OOCL CIO Steve Siu. "There are multiple companies involved." Poorly managed exceptions lead to unhappy customers and lost business. OOCL used a hodgepodge of communication tools -- phone calls, faxes, email -- to manage shipping exceptions. With employees at more than 280 offices in 55 countries, information was scattered and problem resolution inefficient. Siu reasoned that a social network could bring all essential parties -- and their information -- into a single, speedy system.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- How Four Citrix Customers Solved the Enterprise Mobility Challenge Managing mobile devices, data and all types of apps-Windows, datacenter, web and native mobile- through a single solution.
- 8 Steps to Fill the Mobile Enterprise Application Gap Traveling executives and Millennials alike expect to communicate, collaborate and access their important work applications and data from anywhere on whatever device they...
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- McKesson Makes Application Hosting for Hospitals Faster, More Efficient With ExtraHop, McKesson identified the root cause of slow Citrix XenApp application launches and adopted a more intelligent, proactive IT operations model that...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts