Cargo Firm's Social Network Speeds Up Problem Resolution
CIO - THE COMPANY :: Orient Overseas Container Line
THE PROJECT :: Implement an enterprise social network to resolve shipping exceptions at Orient Overseas Container Line (OOCL), a Hong Kong-based container shipping and logistics service provider.
THE BUSINESS CASE :: Unforeseen shipping exceptions -- any situation that causes a delivery to be rescheduled -- are a fact of life in logistics, and for one of the world's largest container transportation companies, such issues can be complex, involving trains, trucks and cargo ships. "This is not the FedEx world," says OOCL CIO Steve Siu. "There are multiple companies involved." Poorly managed exceptions lead to unhappy customers and lost business. OOCL used a hodgepodge of communication tools -- phone calls, faxes, email -- to manage shipping exceptions. With employees at more than 280 offices in 55 countries, information was scattered and problem resolution inefficient. Siu reasoned that a social network could bring all essential parties -- and their information -- into a single, speedy system.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts