Facebook gears up to announce 'life-saving' tool
CEO Zuckerberg to go on Good Morning America Tuesday to announce tool
Computerworld - Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg is taking to the network news Tuesday to announce a new tool that is supposed to have the power to save lives.
ABC News announced Monday that reporter Robin Roberts will interview Zuckerberg about the new tool on Good Morning America Tuesday morning. The interview will be conducted in the social network's new offices in Menlo Park, Calif.
Facebook declined to say what the new tool will do or what it will be called.
Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg also will get in on the press rounds and will talk about the new tool with Diane Sawyer on ABC's World News program. According to ABC, Sandberg will talk about the personal stories that led Facebook to release the new tool.
Snippets from both interviews will be aired on Nightline and ABCnews.com.
While Facebook has not revealed what the tool will do, Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with ZK Research, said the social network is in the perfect position to come up with something really helpful.
"Facebook has location info, so it knows where you are," Kerravala said. "It also knows who you are and who is in your network, including family. With that kind of information, they could build an applet that allows you to broadcast emergency messages through Facebook."
That kind of tool would be a good practical use of social networks, he added. It could help users and it also would help Facebook become even more ingrained in users' lives.
"Just think, Facebook could send a push notification to anyone you choose in your network that you're in trouble," he said. "It's now the best, fastest way of sending info to everyone in your life."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts