Twitter updates iPhone, Android apps
Social networking company upgrades search, notifications and Discover features
Computerworld - Twitter released updated iPhone and Android apps Thursday that make it easier for users to search and find new information.
With a growing number of people tweeting and checking tweets on the train, at the local coffee shop and even in the movie theater, mobile apps are increasingly important to Twitter. And the company took note of that with today's updated apps.
People accustomed to using the Discover tab on Twitter.com will now find it on their mobile app. Like the Web version, the tab will help users find out what tweets their followers have retweeted or made into favorites, according to Sung Hu Kim, a Twitter product manager, in a blog post.
Want to know who your followers are following or adding to lists? The Discover tab will tell you that, too.
Twitter also said it has improved its search function. The app update is designed to enable users to see suggestions for different spellings, as well as related terms for their queries.
Trying to find a person you follow? The Connect tab is set up to auto-complete the entry as the user types in first and last names, Kim noted.
"We've also made a few improvements specifically for iPhone: when you tap the search box in Discover, you'll see your most recent queries," Kim wrote. "You can also go directly to someone's profile when searching for a username in Connect."
Twitter also added push notifications for interactions, so users should be alerted when their tweets are retweeted or favorited, as well as when someone new follows their account. And if a user doesn't need to be notified of every retweet or follow, they can adjust their level of connection.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts