Dell simplifies the blade server
Dell's PowerEdge C6220 squeezes four two-socket servers into 2RU, delivering blade server density at a rack-mount price
Infoworld - Part of Dell's server business is building custom machines for very large customers who want fewer bells and whistles but higher computing density and lower power consumption. The Dell PowerEdge C6220 is a server the company has brought out of this custom arena and into its regular sales channels. It is the second in a new series of servers that combines internal storage and two or four two-socket "nodes" (aka sleds or blades) wrapped up in a highly efficient 2RU package.
The PowerEdge C6220 is being marketed as a high-density server solution primarily targeting HPC (high-performance computing) and virtual server clusters. In a major change from the previous model (C6100), the C6220 lets you mix and match node configurations. With support for heterogeneous nodes, this platform becomes a great fit for branch offices, allowing you to configure the nodes at the right size for your branch office database, VDI (virtual desktop infrastructure), Active Directory, and more -- as opposed to racking up a bunch of monolithic servers or partially filling an expensive blade server chassis.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Contact Center Technologies Implementing the right customer contact center tools can boost customer satisfaction and drive down costs. This guide highlights the technologies that are transforming...
- Conferencing Connects: Collaboration Creates Fueled by an explosion in mobile apps, video conferencing is taking hold across organizations. This paper explains how to cost-effectively leverage video conferencing...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts