Apple's Sir Jonathan Ive wins British Visionary Innovator award
UK born Jony Ive is the leading designer behind a raft of Apple products.
Macworld UK - Sir Jonathan Ive has been crowned British Visionary Innovator in a competition, run by the Intellectual Property Office.
Ive won by a large margin with almost fifty per cent of the vote (46.6%). In second place was Sir Tim Berners-Lee (inventor of the world wide web) with 18.8 per cent of the vote. James Goodfellow OBE (the inventor of PIN technology and the cash machine) was in third place with 15.2 per cent of the vote.
Apple's senior vice president of industrial design was also up against industrial designer Sir James Dyson; graffiti artist Banksy; Michael Aldrich, who invented online shopping; Sir Ian Wilmut, the scientist famous for cloning Dolly the Sheep; Harry Potter author JK Rowling; and TV producer Simon Cowell.
Voters also suggested the following nominations: Sir Richard Branson (Entrepreneur - Virgin); Vivian Westwood (Fashion Designer); Peter Jones (Serial Entrepreneur); Vic Reeves (Comedian); Sir Clive Sinclair (Entrepreneur and Inventor - ZX80); The Monty Python team (Comedy writers/performers); Alan Turing (Mathematician - Turing Machine). See the complete list here.
The competition, to celebrate World Intellectual Property Day 2012, aims to celebrate people who have achieved considerable success or developed innovative products, services or designs.
UK born Jony Ive is the leading designer behind a raft of Apple products including the iMac, MacBook, Mac Pro, MacBook Air, iPod, iPhone, and the iPad. Ive was born in Chingford, London and holds a Bachelor of Arts and an honourary doctorate from Newcastle Polytechnic. He has been recognized with numerous design awards including being named Designer of the Year by the Design Museum London in 2003 and being awarded the title Royal Designer for Industry by The Royal Society of Arts.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Analyst Report-Mixed All Flash Arrays Delivers Safer Higher Performance What is the impact of an all-flash array with enterprise features and reliability on the mainstream data center? In the mainstream environment, storage...
- Embracing Flash Storage Exec Brief Flash storage can deliver impressive performance, especially for random I/O, by eliminating rotational and seek latencies that are common in all hard disk...
- Embracing Tiered Storage Exec Brief All data is not created equal and thus all data need not be treated the same by the storage system. IT executives must...
- Changing the economics of storage with Dell Compellent Flash-optimized solutions As the exponential data growth and an increasing pressure on the data center to become more efficient continues, a traditional "one size fits...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts