Apple's Sir Jonathan Ive wins British Visionary Innovator award
UK born Jony Ive is the leading designer behind a raft of Apple products.
Macworld UK - Sir Jonathan Ive has been crowned British Visionary Innovator in a competition, run by the Intellectual Property Office.
Ive won by a large margin with almost fifty per cent of the vote (46.6%). In second place was Sir Tim Berners-Lee (inventor of the world wide web) with 18.8 per cent of the vote. James Goodfellow OBE (the inventor of PIN technology and the cash machine) was in third place with 15.2 per cent of the vote.
Apple's senior vice president of industrial design was also up against industrial designer Sir James Dyson; graffiti artist Banksy; Michael Aldrich, who invented online shopping; Sir Ian Wilmut, the scientist famous for cloning Dolly the Sheep; Harry Potter author JK Rowling; and TV producer Simon Cowell.
Voters also suggested the following nominations: Sir Richard Branson (Entrepreneur - Virgin); Vivian Westwood (Fashion Designer); Peter Jones (Serial Entrepreneur); Vic Reeves (Comedian); Sir Clive Sinclair (Entrepreneur and Inventor - ZX80); The Monty Python team (Comedy writers/performers); Alan Turing (Mathematician - Turing Machine). See the complete list here.
The competition, to celebrate World Intellectual Property Day 2012, aims to celebrate people who have achieved considerable success or developed innovative products, services or designs.
UK born Jony Ive is the leading designer behind a raft of Apple products including the iMac, MacBook, Mac Pro, MacBook Air, iPod, iPhone, and the iPad. Ive was born in Chingford, London and holds a Bachelor of Arts and an honourary doctorate from Newcastle Polytechnic. He has been recognized with numerous design awards including being named Designer of the Year by the Design Museum London in 2003 and being awarded the title Royal Designer for Industry by The Royal Society of Arts.
- Data Center Projects: Project Management The project management model described in this paper is a framework to show essential characteristics that must be considered in any implementation of...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!