Apple's Sir Jonathan Ive wins British Visionary Innovator award
UK born Jony Ive is the leading designer behind a raft of Apple products.
Macworld UK - Sir Jonathan Ive has been crowned British Visionary Innovator in a competition, run by the Intellectual Property Office.
Ive won by a large margin with almost fifty per cent of the vote (46.6%). In second place was Sir Tim Berners-Lee (inventor of the world wide web) with 18.8 per cent of the vote. James Goodfellow OBE (the inventor of PIN technology and the cash machine) was in third place with 15.2 per cent of the vote.
Apple's senior vice president of industrial design was also up against industrial designer Sir James Dyson; graffiti artist Banksy; Michael Aldrich, who invented online shopping; Sir Ian Wilmut, the scientist famous for cloning Dolly the Sheep; Harry Potter author JK Rowling; and TV producer Simon Cowell.
Voters also suggested the following nominations: Sir Richard Branson (Entrepreneur - Virgin); Vivian Westwood (Fashion Designer); Peter Jones (Serial Entrepreneur); Vic Reeves (Comedian); Sir Clive Sinclair (Entrepreneur and Inventor - ZX80); The Monty Python team (Comedy writers/performers); Alan Turing (Mathematician - Turing Machine). See the complete list here.
The competition, to celebrate World Intellectual Property Day 2012, aims to celebrate people who have achieved considerable success or developed innovative products, services or designs.
UK born Jony Ive is the leading designer behind a raft of Apple products including the iMac, MacBook, Mac Pro, MacBook Air, iPod, iPhone, and the iPad. Ive was born in Chingford, London and holds a Bachelor of Arts and an honourary doctorate from Newcastle Polytechnic. He has been recognized with numerous design awards including being named Designer of the Year by the Design Museum London in 2003 and being awarded the title Royal Designer for Industry by The Royal Society of Arts.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Considerations for Embracing Wireless Monitoring Employee behavior is once again driving major changes for IT departments - this time it's BYOD. This report details three critical steps to...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!