Amazon Web Services eases private cloud creation
CloudFormation templates let IT developers create isolated cloud resources, Amazon says
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services has made it possible to create private clouds using CloudFormation, which automatically creates stacks of resources described using templates, the company said on Wednesday.
Users can now create and populate an entire Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) using a single CloudFormation template, according to Amazon.
The VPC service has been around for a couple of years, and allows users to create an isolated section of Amazon's cloud where they can launch resources in a virtual network defined by themselves, including public subnets, private subnets, and hardware VPN access.
With CloudFormation, users don't have to figure out the order in which AWS services need to be provisioned or how to make dependencies between them work, according to Amazon.
To help developers and systems administrators get going, Amazon has created two sample templates to show how they are constructed. The first template creates a VPC with a single EC2 instance, and the second rolls out a VPC with public and private subnets, an Elastic Load Balancer, and an EC2 instance, according to a blog post on the new capability.
There is no additional charge for using CloudFormation or Virtual Private Cloud. Companies that create a hardware VPN connection to their VPC using a VPN gateway, are charged 5 cents per hour it is provisioned and available, according to Amazon.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- IDC Whitepaper: Optimal Path to the Cloud Find out what IDC says about Selecting the Optimal Path to Private Cloud in this analyst white paper. Learn the challenges and benefits...
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- Enterprise Cloud Deployment Strategies Three primary cloud deployment strategies are available today for enterprise software-public cloud, private cloud and hybrid cloud.
- Five Must-Haves for Enterprise File Sync and Share Flexibility Valuable enterprise data lives on endpoint devices, changes constantly and flows freely throughout organizations.
- Spotlight On: Private Cloud Endpoint Backup Need total control over your data and destiny? Does your IT strategy mandate on-premises or inside-the-firewall solutions? Then a private cloud approach to...
- IT Can Be Done: How to Protect Enterprise Data Yet Enable Secure Access for End Users Let's face it. Today's enterprise IT is faced with an increasingly challenging landscape, as the proliferation of personal devices in the work place... All Private Cloud White Papers | Webcasts