Google seeks appeal in Australia AdWords case
Full Federal Court ruled on April 3 that four ads were misleading or deceptive and breached the Trade Practices Act 1974
IDG News Service - Google is asking Australia's High Court to hear an appeal over whether it mislead consumers by allowing advertisers to purchase AdWords containing competitors' names and products.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) started legal proceedings against Google in 2007, alleging that the headlines of 11 advertisements comprised business names, product names or web addresses for a competitor's business that had not purchased the AdWords advertisements from Google.
In its defense, Google portrayed itself as a publisher who was not responsible for the content and representations made by those organizations that purchased AdWords.
A Federal Court judge ruled in October 2011 that although some advertisements were misleading, Google has just communicated the representation made by the advertisers.
But the ACCC prevailed in an appeal before the Full Federal Court on April 3. The court found that four advertisements were misleading or deceptive and breached the Trade Practices Act 1974. It ordered Google to put in place a consumer compliance program.
On Monday, Google filed an application asking the High Court for special leave to appeal, according to the Commonwealth Courts website.
The ACCC said in a statement on Thursday that it has "held the view that this case is important in clarifying the advertising practices of search engine providers in the internet age."
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
All Gov't Legislation/Regulation White Papers |