Big acquisitions, distractions may delay Facebook IPO
Initial public offering may be pushed back till June, reports say
Computerworld - Less than a week ago, the Internet was abuzz with reports that Facebook's IPO would come in mid-May. Today, news reports are adding several more weeks to that timeline.
A few high-priced acquisitions could be distracting the social network and its co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg enough to delay the company's initial public offering, according to a report from CNBC.
Citing unnamed sources, CNBC reported that Zuckerberg and other top Facebook executives have been unable to focus enough on the upcoming IPO to be ready to launch on May 14 as previously expected.
Now the company reportedly is looking at an IPO launch in mid-June.
A Facebook spokesperson declined to comment on the IPO, noting that the company is in a quiet period.
For a company quickly approaching an IPO, Facebook has been very active in recent weeks, forking over a lot of money for a company acquisition and a mountain of patents.
Earlier this month, Facebook announced that it had acquired Instagram, the maker of a popular mobile photo-sharing app. The deal is costing the social network $1 billion in cash and stock.
In a previous interview, Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with ZK Research, said the patent purchase was a move to better position the company for its upcoming IPO. "For Facebook, it looks like they're buying potential," he said.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts