Box upgrades API to make it simpler, more powerful
The company also announced that 15 new mobile applications have been integrated with its OneCloud app repository and console
IDG News Service - Box has given its API (application programming interface) a makeover so that developers will have an easier time building and integrating applications with its software, and have those applications do more than is currently possible.
Version 2 of the API for the Box cloud-hosted enterprise collaboration and content management software is now in beta, but is expected to reach final release form soon, according to company officials.
Box plans to keep the original API active at least through the end of this year, and maybe longer if it deems it necessary to avoid disrupting the third-party applications that rely on it. Eventually, existing applications will need to be migrated over to version 2 of the API.
There are more than 170 applications that integrate with the Box software, making about 300 million API calls per month. Box is used by 120,000 businesses -- including 82% of the Fortune 500 -- and 10 million end users.
In terms of new capabilities, version 2 of the API allows for the creation of applications that can access more deeply collaborator discussions occurring in Box among end users. A new feature called Instant Mode streamlines and simplifies the process for granting end user-access to third-party applications tied to Box.
Box also announced that its recently launched OneCloud central console for third-party mobile applications now also has an improved software development kit with new documentation and libraries intended to simplify the application integration process.
In addition, 15 new mobile application vendors have built links for their applications and OneCloud, including CloudOn, iDesk and Handshake, bringing the total to almost 50 iOS-based apps. OneCloud will support Android applications later.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Enterprise-Ready Sync From Day 1 There's no doubt consumer-grade sync and share solutions are convenient, but it's the risk they introduce to the enterprise that keeps IT leaders...
- File Sync and Share Made Simple Today's employees use multiple devices to get their work done. These mixed environments create new challenges for IT teams-IT admins are now tasked...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Social Business White Papers | Webcasts