Microsoft to support ODF 1.2 open document standard in Office 15
Microsoft will also support ODF 1.2 in its cloud office suite Office 365.
IDG News Service - Microsoft has demonstrated support for the Open Document Format (ODF) 1.2 standard in a technical preview of the forthcoming Office 15 productivity suite and plans to release a beta version with the feature late this summer.
The company announced its support for ODF 1.2 -- the native document format of OpenOffice.org 3 and LibreOffice 3 -- during the ODF Plugfest that it hosted in Brussels last week.
The plugfest, or interoperability test, was organized by the OpenDoc Society, once a bitter rival of Microsoft. The society was set up to promote ODF at a time when Microsoft was pushing for its own document format, OOXML, to become an international standard for office productivity suite document formats. ODF 1.0 had already been adopted as an international standard, ISO/IEC 26300, while a variant of OOXML was later adopted as ISO/IEC 29500.
The use of open standard document formats is important for the archival and exchange of information. Whereas legacy documents in proprietary formats may become inaccessible if the original software used to create them is no longer available, it will remain possible to decode documents saved in open or standard formats because any standards-compliant application will be able to do the job.
The current version of Microsoft Office can already read and write documents in ODF 1.1 format, but the standard has moved on: The Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS) approved version 1.2 last September, and in addition to OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice, it is already supported by Gnumeric, Google Docs, Softmaker Office, EuroOffice, WebODF, Zoho Office, AbiWord and Calligra suite.
Michiel Leenaars, vice chairman of the OpenDoc Society, welcomed Microsoft's decision to support ODF 1.2.
The adoption of the document standard will enable Microsoft customers to communicate better with users of other productivity software, while the use of ODF frees users that traditionally were tied to one software environment, Leenaars said. "The time that we only had one computer on our desk is behind us: now we have tablets, mobile phones and a variety of other uses of information."
Microsoft plans to release a public beta version of Office 15 this summer, but some developers have already been provided with access to a Technical Preview version under non-disclosure agreement (NDA).
At the plugfest, Microsoft allowed attendees to upload ODF 1.2 documents through a Web interface to a machine running Office 15 Technical Preview, avoiding the need to sign an NDA. That machine then returned the ODF document as either a PDF file to show how Office would print it, as an Open XML file that could be opened in Office 2010 to see an approximation of how Office 15 would render the document on screen, or as ODF 1.2 to see what effect the round trip had on the format, according to attendees at the event.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts