iPhone sales boom pushes Apple to first-quarter records
Even though the $399 iPad 2 was available for just two weeks at the end of the quarter, the overall iPad ASP dropped from $593 in the fourth quarter of 2011 to $558 in the March quarter, a 6% decline.
Oppenheimer dodged the analyst's a question. "We're just learning about be the elasticity of demand and the $399 price point [of the iPad 2]," he said, falling back on the we-don't-have-enough-information line that's almost pro forma for Apple executives.
Cook, however, was less hesitant to answer. He cited education's enthusiasm for the lower-priced iPad 2, and acknowledged that sales of the 2011 tablet had jumped in "several other countries," hinting at price sensitivity, at least in some markets.
Gottheil thought there was more to the iPad ASP drop than Apple let on.
"It's possible that the [lower ASP] is because of the educational market, but what we don't know is if it sold well because the supply of the new iPad was constrained," said Gottheil.
The new iPad is in short supply: Inventory actually fell by 300,000 units during the quarter and even in the U.S., the tablet is backordered. Later in the call, Cook said he couldn't predict when Apple would have enough iPads to go around.
But both Oppenheimer and Cook said what Apple has claimed when it's faced past shortages, "We are selling [iPads] as fast as we can make them," said Cook. He expressed confidence that the next quarter would be big for the iPad.
And Cook, as is his habit, wasn't shy about knocking rival tablets, this time those that try to combine the features of a keyboard-equipped notebook and a touch-enabled tablet.
"Anything can be forced to converge," Cook said in answering a question about an eventual blending of notebook and tablet form factors. "But the problem is that products are about trade-offs, and you begin to make trade-offs to the point where what you have left at the end of the day doesn't please anyone. You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."
Cook may have been talking about the device partners of rival Microsoft, some of whom are expected to come up with it's-a-notebook-it's-a-tablet hybrids for Windows 8, the operating system most experts predict will launch this fall, or even for the ARM-only edition, Windows RT.
"We're not going to that party," Cook said. "Others might. Others might from a defensive point of view. But we're going to play in both [computers and tablets]."
- Apple unveils minor bumps to MacBook Pro laptops
- Feds arrest Florida man who allegedly conned Apple out of $309K
- Yosemite's traffic share triples after public beta debuts
- Apple hasn't exhausted its supply of Yosemite betas
- 13 pieces of advice for Yosemite beta testers
- The other Apple economy: $2B in devices on eBay
- Apple sends users scrambling for OS X Yosemite
- Long replacement cycle drags down iPad sales
- Apple unwraps OS X Yosemite public beta Thursday
- Apple grows Mac sales by 18% on the back of the MacBook Air
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts