Automatically encrypt files for your Google Drive
Macworld - Today Google launched Google Drive, a free-if-you-just-need-5GB-of-storage Dropbox-like service that lets you easily store and share files in the cloud.
I like the idea of free cloud storage, but I'm just the tiniest bit wary of sharing files with Google, given the company's penchant for using information I share with it to hone its advertising. For this reason, I've determined to encrypt any files I place on my Google Drive. And you can too--easily and with your new best friend, Automator.
Visit this Automator World page and download a copy of Armin Briegel's free Create Disk Images From Files action.
Launch Automator create a new Application workflow. Choose File -> Import Actions, navigate to the Create Disk Image From Files action you downloaded, and click Import. Drag this action into the workflow area. Configure the action so that the Image Location pop-up menu points to the Google Drive folder (found inside your user folder). Enable the Compress Image and Encrypt Image options, click the Options button, and enable the Show This Action When the Workflow Runs option. Save the application to the desktop.
When you want to encrypt some files and place them on Google Drive, simply drag them on top of the application workflow. They'll be compressed into a zip archive and you'll then be prompted for a password. Enter and confirm the password, click OK, and the disk image is encrypted.
Of course you'll need to pass along the password to anyone who downloads the archive. And, just as of course, you can use this same kind of workflow with Dropbox.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts