Network World - Next-generation firewalls claim to identify application-layer attacks and enforce application-specific policies while delivering top-notch performance, even with advanced security features turned on.
In the first installment of this two-part Clear Choice test, we tackle the performance issue, evaluating NGFWs from Barracuda, Check Point, Fortinet and SonicWall (recently acquired by Dell). On May 7, we'll present Joel Snyder's analysis of the features and functionality of these same devices.
Our overall conclusion is that next-gen firewalls are getting faster, and the tradeoff between speed and security is definitely getting smaller, but it's still there.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Network Monitoring and Troubleshooting for Dummies The Network Monitoring and Troubleshooting for Dummies Book introduces you to common network performance management (NPM) issues and give you a new way...
- Forrester's Ideal Tool Set For Application Performance Management For Better Business Performance Read the report to learn the key findings of Forrester's recent benchmark data on the current state of application availability and performance within...
- The Application Deluge and Visibility Imperative Learn how an integrated approach ensures performance of your network and applications by leveraging network performance management and WAN optimization solutions.
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All LAN/WAN White Papers | Webcasts