CS enrollments on the rise, up 10% in 2011-12
Computerworld - Interest in computer science continues to grow among undergraduates, according to a survey conducted by the Computing Research Association (CRA). The number of students pursuing computer science majors rose nearly 10% in the 2011-2012 academic year, marking the fourth straight year of increases.
The numbers might have been higher had it not been for enrollment caps that some schools set because they don't have enough faculty members, equipment or classrooms to meet demand, said the CRA.
"We don't have a way to gauge how many students wanted to be admitted," said Peter Harsha, the CRA's director of government affairs. The association reported a 10% enrollment gain last year as well.
This trend is in sharp contrast to the state of affairs after the dot-com bubble burst in 2001. As dot-com fever built, so did enrollments in computer science programs at Ph.D.-granting institutions, the only schools that the CRA surveys. Average enrollments had risen to 400 computer science students at the height of the bubble; by 2006-2007, that figure had fallen to around 200.
Today's enrollments average is around 300 students per program, the CRA said.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Education/Training White Papers |