CS enrollments on the rise, up 10% in 2011-12
Computerworld - Interest in computer science continues to grow among undergraduates, according to a survey conducted by the Computing Research Association (CRA). The number of students pursuing computer science majors rose nearly 10% in the 2011-2012 academic year, marking the fourth straight year of increases.
The numbers might have been higher had it not been for enrollment caps that some schools set because they don't have enough faculty members, equipment or classrooms to meet demand, said the CRA.
"We don't have a way to gauge how many students wanted to be admitted," said Peter Harsha, the CRA's director of government affairs. The association reported a 10% enrollment gain last year as well.
This trend is in sharp contrast to the state of affairs after the dot-com bubble burst in 2001. As dot-com fever built, so did enrollments in computer science programs at Ph.D.-granting institutions, the only schools that the CRA surveys. Average enrollments had risen to 400 computer science students at the height of the bubble; by 2006-2007, that figure had fallen to around 200.
Today's enrollments average is around 300 students per program, the CRA said.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 5 eDiscovery Challenges Solved eDiscovery challenges continue to present themselves as data storage becomes more complex and grows the Big Data Era. Read this CommVault Solution Brief...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Cybersecurity for Dummies eBook This book provides an in-depth examination of real-world attacks and APTs, the shortcomings of legacy security solutions, the capabilities of next-generation firewalls, and...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap... All Education/Training White Papers | Webcasts