CS enrollments on the rise, up 10% in 2011-12
Computerworld - Interest in computer science continues to grow among undergraduates, according to a survey conducted by the Computing Research Association (CRA). The number of students pursuing computer science majors rose nearly 10% in the 2011-2012 academic year, marking the fourth straight year of increases.
The numbers might have been higher had it not been for enrollment caps that some schools set because they don't have enough faculty members, equipment or classrooms to meet demand, said the CRA.
"We don't have a way to gauge how many students wanted to be admitted," said Peter Harsha, the CRA's director of government affairs. The association reported a 10% enrollment gain last year as well.
This trend is in sharp contrast to the state of affairs after the dot-com bubble burst in 2001. As dot-com fever built, so did enrollments in computer science programs at Ph.D.-granting institutions, the only schools that the CRA surveys. Average enrollments had risen to 400 computer science students at the height of the bubble; by 2006-2007, that figure had fallen to around 200.
Today's enrollments average is around 300 students per program, the CRA said.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Education/Training White Papers | Webcasts