Amazon Web Services offers one-click purchase of cloud apps from IBM, SAP, others
The marketplace could give customers better ability to try-before-they-buy
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services on Thursday announced a new online marketplace that allows customers to buy software and services from a variety of vendors at hourly rates through its cloud infrastructure platform.
Commercial software vendors including IBM, Microsoft, SAP and CA Technologies are offering products for sale on the site. A variety of open-source software is also available, including the Drupal content management system, SugarCRM and a number of application development stacks.
In some cases, the software is available at no charge, with customers only paying for the amount of Amazon compute power and storage they use.
Software can be launched either with Amazon's 1-Click technology or the Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) console, for additional control.
Customer billing is handled by the AWS system. Existing AWS customers can receive and pay their application charges on their regular AWS bill, according to a statement. This setup makes life easier for both customers as well as vendors, since they will save money and effort otherwise spent on marketing, distribution and overhead, Amazon said.
AWS Marketplace is currently open only to vendors "with a US Subsidiary that can submit a W-9 tax form," according to a notice on the site.
Many software vendors, including some who are participating in the marketplace, had already offered customers the ability to run their products on Amazon's infrastructure.
But the additional streamlining AWS Marketplace applies to the buying process could give customers a more painless way to test out software before making a more substantial investment, particularly in commercial applications like SAP Business Objects, which typically carry hefty price tags.
While commercial vendors typically offer free trials of their products, they are often limited to 30 days and require a local install. But a customer could rent software through AWS Marketplace for a longer, open-ended period, giving them the chance to fully vet the product without having to sign a long-term contract or tie up hardware resources.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts