Network World - The scoop: iZON Remote Room Monitor, by Stem Innovation, about $130
What is it? A network-based camera that connects via Wi-Fi, the iZON Remote Room Monitor lets you watch rooms in your house or office remotely. The monitoring is done via the Stem:Connect iOS app, letting you see live images coming from the camera, or setting up motion-detection or sound-detection alerts. When the motion or sound is detected, the clip can be uploaded to your YouTube account as well.
WI-FI LINEUP: At 100 years old, Fenway Park brims with new technology
Why it's cool: This device and app were developed first for mobile devices, unlike other devices that rely on monitoring via a Web browser -- in fact, you can't watch your camera's feed through a PC browser (the company says a Mac app is coming, and other methods down the road). The small device is inconspicuous, and would work well as a baby room monitor, or if you have a second house and/or office and want to be alerted if the device detects motion. The YouTube upload option is also a nice touch. The camera and app were somewhat easy to hook up, as long as you're using an 802.11n Wi-Fi router with WPA2 (not WEP) security.
Some caveats: I had trouble with the motion alert and YouTube uploading; sensitivity adjustments need to be made so that you're not constantly getting alerted with very tiny motion settings. But at low sensitivity settings, I was consistently not receiving alerts, even though I knew motion was going on (I was recording video in the office). The device and app are a work in progress; I'd wait until Web browser monitoring and other settings were added to the system.
Grade: 3 stars (out of five)
The scoop: Wireless Dual-Band Travel Router, by Belkin, about $80
What is it? This small device provides a wireless router capability for travelers, hooking into a hotel's wired Ethernet connection and providing wireless connectivity for tablets, smartphones and notebooks. The wireless capabilities allow you to use one connection for multiple devices.
Why it's cool: This is one of the first devices I've seen that provides dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency) connectivity, although most of your wireless clients are likely on 2.4GHz. Still, as more devices add 5GHz functionality, having this option for lower interference and greater bandwidth is nice. Even if you only plan on using one notebook in your hotel room, it's nice to have this in case the hotel's Ethernet connection is in an odd place (on my last trip, the Ethernet cable was located on the night stand next to the bed, not near the desk).
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts