Network World - The scoop: iZON Remote Room Monitor, by Stem Innovation, about $130
What is it? A network-based camera that connects via Wi-Fi, the iZON Remote Room Monitor lets you watch rooms in your house or office remotely. The monitoring is done via the Stem:Connect iOS app, letting you see live images coming from the camera, or setting up motion-detection or sound-detection alerts. When the motion or sound is detected, the clip can be uploaded to your YouTube account as well.
WI-FI LINEUP: At 100 years old, Fenway Park brims with new technology
Why it's cool: This device and app were developed first for mobile devices, unlike other devices that rely on monitoring via a Web browser -- in fact, you can't watch your camera's feed through a PC browser (the company says a Mac app is coming, and other methods down the road). The small device is inconspicuous, and would work well as a baby room monitor, or if you have a second house and/or office and want to be alerted if the device detects motion. The YouTube upload option is also a nice touch. The camera and app were somewhat easy to hook up, as long as you're using an 802.11n Wi-Fi router with WPA2 (not WEP) security.
Some caveats: I had trouble with the motion alert and YouTube uploading; sensitivity adjustments need to be made so that you're not constantly getting alerted with very tiny motion settings. But at low sensitivity settings, I was consistently not receiving alerts, even though I knew motion was going on (I was recording video in the office). The device and app are a work in progress; I'd wait until Web browser monitoring and other settings were added to the system.
Grade: 3 stars (out of five)
The scoop: Wireless Dual-Band Travel Router, by Belkin, about $80
What is it? This small device provides a wireless router capability for travelers, hooking into a hotel's wired Ethernet connection and providing wireless connectivity for tablets, smartphones and notebooks. The wireless capabilities allow you to use one connection for multiple devices.
Why it's cool: This is one of the first devices I've seen that provides dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency) connectivity, although most of your wireless clients are likely on 2.4GHz. Still, as more devices add 5GHz functionality, having this option for lower interference and greater bandwidth is nice. Even if you only plan on using one notebook in your hotel room, it's nice to have this in case the hotel's Ethernet connection is in an odd place (on my last trip, the Ethernet cable was located on the night stand next to the bed, not near the desk).
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!