Cisco sells 50 millionth IP phone
Also offers free presence, IM and Cisco Jabber client software to Unified Communications Manager customers
Computerworld - Cisco Wednesday announced Wednesday that it has sold its 50 millionth IP phone, up from 30 million sold through just two years ago.
The switching giant today also said it will make software for presence, instant messaging and Cisco Jabber IM clients available for free to its Unified Communications Manager customers.
The latter move means organizations with UCM can roll out presence and IM to employees simply and cheaply to smartphones and tablets running various operating systems, Barry O'Sullivan, senior vice president of Cisco's voice technology group, said in a blog post.
The supported OSs include Windows, Mac, iPad, Cisco Cius, iPhone, BlackBerry and, later in 2012, Android, O'Sullivan said.
The move helps companies "deploy a unified communications client that is BYOD-ready," he added. BYOD refers to Bring Your Own Device, a trend where companies allow workers to use devices of their choosing to connect to company data wirelessly.
O'Sullivan noted that desktop phones are still popular because of voice quality and other features, and because companies can add software that connects the desktop phone number to a smartphone or tablet when in the field.
Jabber software can be used to move beyond text IM to videoconferencing from a mobile device as well.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Securing the enterprise workspace: protect your organization while supporting mobility and BYOD Read this white paper to learn ways to bolster security across enterprise networks while giving employees simple, authorized remote access to corporate applications...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments Read this white paper for tips on how to prepare critical applications to be securely accessed from an array of company-owned and personal...
- Future-proof your mobility strategy with Dell Enterprise Mobility Management Read this paper to discover best practices to future-proof your mobile strategy in the evolving world of devices, operating systems, work habits and...
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program Read this white paper to learn how to support employees with the best devices to increase flexibility, productivity and job satisfaction.
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts