Verizon launches faster network for financial firms
New Verizon high-speed network opens in New York and Chicago; expanding to other markets later this year
Computerworld - Verizon today launched a new low-latency network for financial services firms that can complete a stock trade between New York and Chicago in as little as 14.5 milliseconds.
The new Verizon Financial Network Premier Low-Latency Service shaves as much as 5 milliseconds off the company's current offering, a change that can translate into millions of dollars for high-frequency traders.
The new service, which becomes part of the Verizon Financial Network, uses higher performance networking technology from Ciena and takes the shortest possible path between the two metropolitan areas, according to Verizon.
Verizon is targeting the service to global banks, hedge funds, pre- and post-trade service firms and money managers who use high-performance computing algorithms and networks for speedy transactions.
High-frequency trading firms require low-latency networks to execute arbitrage transactions and algorithmic trading with minimal delay. Fiber distance between trading locations introduces latency, as does the equipment used to light the fiber.
Verizon plans on expanding the new high-speed network to other U.S. markets later this year.
CME Group, a financial derivatives marketplace, plans to use the new Verizon service in its Aurora, Ill., data and colocation center to enable companies in Chicago and New York to trade on CME Group's platforms and more quickly exchange market data.
"We're creating a secure, reliable high-speed path along one of the busiest financial trading routes," Chandan Sharma, managing director of Verizon's financial vertical markets, said in a statement.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Financial IT in Computerworld's Financial IT Topic Center.
This pilot fish has a project to install some new servers for a rapidly expanding bank. But the hardest part of the job turns out to be getting the IT manager to sign a Delivery and Acceptance document at the end.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Automating Cost Transparency
- By making all of the costs of running IT transparent, IT can change the way business units consume IT resources, drive down total...
- Cisco Case Study
- Before Cisco could effectively manage the business of IT, the company needed to improve the way it accounted for the cost and performance...
- IT Financial Metrics Primer
- This Executive Brief details financial and non-financial metrics that IT financial managers must use to foster conversations with business stakeholders.
- Finance - Interactive eGuide
- In this e-Guide, Computerworld, IDG News Service and IT World examine software-defined data centers, customer experience tools, and security issues that are top...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience All Financial IT White Papers
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- All Financial IT Webcasts