Macworld - Fibble feels like what Pixar might come up with if the animation studio tried its hand at a puzzle game. The premise behind the game from Crytek even kind of sounds like a Disney movie waiting to happen: When a lovable alien the size of a marble gets knocked from orbit, it has to navigate its way through the hazards of a human household as efficiently as possible. Also, there's a lot of hugging. And an octopus with a monocle.
The levels look like unused sets from the miniature world of Toy Story, while the helpful creatures you find along the way could've been extras in Monsters, Inc. Fibble's built-in game engine feels like something you'd associate with high-performance PC games, so you might be forgiven for admiring the 3D-modeled rubber duck in the background when you should be angling to pick up some collectables.A
That said, you will come back for those collectables. Flick your globular protagonist to roll him through the level, tapping occasionally to get your wee pals to help in bouncing, turning corners, and otherwise navigating strange little obstacle courses. The tricky part is in placing your helpers optimally to collect every last pick-up along the way, allowing you to unlock later levels and achieve higher scores.
Fibble is playable on both iPhone and iPad (as the separate, iPad-optimized Fibble HD, but you can't synchronize your progress between devices. If you have both an iPhone or an iPad, though, there's no contest: Between easier-to-read text and more screen space for those carefully-assembled visuals, this is a game to reassure you that a fancy new iPad was a good investment.
Jason Tocci is a writer based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts