Music Artists Get 'Listen' Button on Facebook
The new Facebook feature is aimed at improving tune discovery on the giant social network.
PC World - Facebook added a "Listen' button Tuesday to the pages of music artists on the social network.
The button appears beside the "Like" button on the artist's page (as shown on this page) and clicking it will play music from the artist, provided you've installed a streaming app on your computer like Spotify or MOG. Facebook doesn't have a mobile app yet that supports the new feature.
If you don't have a music app installed on your computer, Facebook offers to subscribe you to Spotify.
The new button makes it easier for you to sample a musician's sound and decide if you want to "like" them or not.
What Will You Listen To?
What music is sent your way depends on your streaming software. Spotify, for example, plays the artist's five most popular songs. Rdio, on the other hand, plays a mix of songs based on the artist's "radio station."
This latest gambit by Facebook to prolong your visits to the social network nicely complements another feature added earlier in the year: "listen with." It allows you and a friend to listen to a song simultaneously.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts