Yahoo earnings rise, but revenue treads water
Yahoo's profit was up in the first quarter, but its share of the online advertising pie continued to shrink
IDG News Service - Yahoo reported Tuesday that its first-quarter profit came to US$286 million, up 28 percent from the same quarter last year, but the company's total revenue revealed much more modest gains.
Yahoo brought in $1.2 billion in total revenue for the first quarter of 2012, up just 1 percent year over year.
Search ad revenue rose 3 percent to $470 million, but display ad revenue fell 2 percent to $511 million. Meanwhile, the digital ad market in the United States grew 23 percent in the same year-over-year comparison, according to eMarketer.
Earlier this month, Yahoo laid off about 2,000 workers, roughly 14 percent of its workforce.
The company's new CEO, Scott Thompson, is expected to lay out his vision for turning the company around in a conference call for financial analysts and shareholders Tuesday afternoon.
Cameron Scott covers search, web services and privacy for The IDG News Service. Follow Cameron on Twitter at CScott_IDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts