Google Drive May Launch Next Week With 5GB of Free Storage
Reports of an imminent Google Drive launch are piling up.
PC World - Reports of an imminent Google Drive launch keep piling up, with The Next Web claiming that the online storage service will finally arrive next week.
Google Drive will include 5 GB of free storage, The Next Web reports, citing "a draft release from a partner" of the service. Files will be accessible through any web browser, of course, but Google Drive will also reportedly work within local file browsers on a Windows PC or Mac, in a manner similar to Dropbox's desktop client.
Earlier, we heard that Google Drive would only include 1 GB free, but a more generous amount of free storage seems likely given how much space the competition offers. Dropbox provides 2 GB free, and Box offers 5 GB. Microsoft's SkyDrive provides 25 GB, with 5 GB available for syncing to a local file folder in Windows.
Rumors of a Web-based storage service from Google have been circulating since 2006, and claims of an upcoming launch have proven false before. But given the amount of new leaked information lately--including a splash page screenshot and an integration menu from a partner--the mythical GDrive has a solid chance of becoming real very soon. Stay tuned.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- Clearing the Network Hurdle to Cloud Deployment Although enthusiasm is high among IT pros for cloud services, an IDG Research Quick Poll survey found that, in fact, the cloud is...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!