The New Kindle Touch Upgrade: How to Get It Now
The upgrade will roll out over Wi-Fi during the next several weeks but why wait? We show you how to get it now.
PC World - Amazon plans over the next few weeks to roll out a software upgrade for its Kindle Touch e-reader that includes several useful enhancements via Wi-Fi. But why wait?
The improvements include the ability to switch between portrait and landscape mode in books and PDFs, instant translations of words and passages into other languages, and a text-to-speech feature that reads English-language content aloud.
Impatient Kindle Touch users can install the upgrade today. Here's how:
First, make sure you're not already running the new software. Go to the Kindle Touch home screen; tap Menu, then Settings, and Menu again. Select "Device Info." If the firmware version is Kindle 5.1.0 (as shown below), you're running the latest version and don't need to upgrade.
On your desktop or laptop PC, go to Amazon's Kindle Touch upgrade page, scroll down a bit, and click "Download Software Update 5.1.0." The file size is only 38.6MB, so the download shouldn't take long.
Power up the Kindle Touch and connect it via USB cable to your PC. Drag the update file from your PC onto the Kindle drive (see below). (Make sure you don't drop the file into one of the folders within the Kindle drive, Amazon warns.)
Check the Kindle drive to make sure the upgrade file transferred successfully.
Eject the Kindle Touch and disconnect it from your PC.
To launch the software update on the Touch, tap Menu on the Home screen, then Settings. Tap Menu again and select "Upgrade Your Kindle." Tap OK when asked if you want to run the upgrade.
The upgrade will take a few minutes, and the Touch will restart twice during the process.
Perhaps the best new feature is the Touch's ability to switch between portrait and landscape modes--handy for reading graphs, maps, and tables. Switching is a big clunky, however: To switch while reading a book in portrait, for instance, you tap Menu, and then Landscape Mode.
Well, at least you won't have to worry about willy-nilly mode switches whenever you happen to sit up, turn to the side, or move your arms while reading as with a certain tablet that we shall not name.
- Mission Critical Cloud Powers Freesat Website, Mobile App When subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat needed a scalable, cost-effective infrastructure it found the disaster recovery and security features it needed with Peer...
- Bring Your Own Device: From Security to Success Download this e-Book to learn best practices for executing a BYOD policy.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts