The New Kindle Touch Upgrade: How to Get It Now
The upgrade will roll out over Wi-Fi during the next several weeks but why wait? We show you how to get it now.
PC World - Amazon plans over the next few weeks to roll out a software upgrade for its Kindle Touch e-reader that includes several useful enhancements via Wi-Fi. But why wait?
The improvements include the ability to switch between portrait and landscape mode in books and PDFs, instant translations of words and passages into other languages, and a text-to-speech feature that reads English-language content aloud.
Impatient Kindle Touch users can install the upgrade today. Here's how:
First, make sure you're not already running the new software. Go to the Kindle Touch home screen; tap Menu, then Settings, and Menu again. Select "Device Info." If the firmware version is Kindle 5.1.0 (as shown below), you're running the latest version and don't need to upgrade.
On your desktop or laptop PC, go to Amazon's Kindle Touch upgrade page, scroll down a bit, and click "Download Software Update 5.1.0." The file size is only 38.6MB, so the download shouldn't take long.
Power up the Kindle Touch and connect it via USB cable to your PC. Drag the update file from your PC onto the Kindle drive (see below). (Make sure you don't drop the file into one of the folders within the Kindle drive, Amazon warns.)
Check the Kindle drive to make sure the upgrade file transferred successfully.
Eject the Kindle Touch and disconnect it from your PC.
To launch the software update on the Touch, tap Menu on the Home screen, then Settings. Tap Menu again and select "Upgrade Your Kindle." Tap OK when asked if you want to run the upgrade.
The upgrade will take a few minutes, and the Touch will restart twice during the process.
Perhaps the best new feature is the Touch's ability to switch between portrait and landscape modes--handy for reading graphs, maps, and tables. Switching is a big clunky, however: To switch while reading a book in portrait, for instance, you tap Menu, and then Landscape Mode.
Well, at least you won't have to worry about willy-nilly mode switches whenever you happen to sit up, turn to the side, or move your arms while reading as with a certain tablet that we shall not name.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts