Macworld - Circadia is the very picture of minimalism--just straightforward mechanics, no bells and whistles. Actually, maybe just bells. But no whistles.
Each level is a new arrangement of colored dots worthy of a modern art exhibit. Tapping on a dot sounds a tone and releases a circular ripple, with lower tones signifying slower ripples. Get those ripples to line up over a white dot to proceed to the next level.
The interface is beautifully simple and intuitive. The game's equally functional on both iPhone and iPad, and it remembers your progress if you switch between devices.A And when it works, Circadia is one of the most relaxing and satisfying puzzle games you'll ever play. For a while, you'll coast through level after level, touching dots with perfect timing, releasing pleasant chimes marking your success.A
When it doesn't work, however, Circadia grinds to a halt, utterly ruining any sense that you have control over the game at all. When you're lining up three colors, patience and a good ear will see you through eventually, but it may take a while. On higher levels, when your targets begin to move, the game may feel like it comes down to random chance rather than actual skill.
Fans of puzzlers with a good ear and a great sense of timing will find this $1 app from Simple Machine to be a nice chill-out game. For players with less patience, however, the novelty is likely to wear off fast.
Jason Tocci is a writer based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Analyst Report-Mixed All Flash Arrays Delivers Safer Higher Performance What is the impact of an all-flash array with enterprise features and reliability on the mainstream data center? In the mainstream environment, storage...
- Embracing Flash Storage Exec Brief Flash storage can deliver impressive performance, especially for random I/O, by eliminating rotational and seek latencies that are common in all hard disk...
- Embracing Tiered Storage Exec Brief All data is not created equal and thus all data need not be treated the same by the storage system. IT executives must...
- Changing the economics of storage with Dell Compellent Flash-optimized solutions As the exponential data growth and an increasing pressure on the data center to become more efficient continues, a traditional "one size fits...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts