Change Gmail's Button Icons Back to Text
Not happy with Gmail's recent makeover? There's an easy way to replace those confusing icons with simple, straightforward text.
PC World - Maybe it's because I don't like change, or maybe it's because I hate it when software developers assume that everyone can figure out their cryptic icons, but I wasn't a fan of Gmail's recent makeover.
In particular, I didn't like the switch from simple, straightforward text labels for various buttons to attractive but largely incomprehensible icons.
Here's what Gmail looks like now:
And here's what it looked like before:
Do you miss "before" as much as I do? Then you'll be glad to hear that Google now gives you the option of going back in time, interface-wise.
Just open up Gmail in your browser, click the little gear icon in the upper-right corner, and then click Settings.
With the General tab selected, look for the Button Labels option and click on Text. Scroll down to the bottom, click Save Changes, and you're done!
Now that's an interface I can understand. Curiously, and amusingly, that little gear icon remains a gear. Guess Google thinks that symbol is universally recognized. I disagree: if you're going to use an icon for settings, I think a wrench is more logical. Don't agree? What symbol would you suggest?
Contributing Editor Rick Broida writes about business and consumer technology. Ask for help with your PC hassles at firstname.lastname@example.org, or try the treasure trove of helpful folks in the PC World Community Forums. Sign up to have the Hassle-Free PC newsletter e-mailed to you each week.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts