Change Gmail's Button Icons Back to Text
Not happy with Gmail's recent makeover? There's an easy way to replace those confusing icons with simple, straightforward text.
PC World - Maybe it's because I don't like change, or maybe it's because I hate it when software developers assume that everyone can figure out their cryptic icons, but I wasn't a fan of Gmail's recent makeover.
In particular, I didn't like the switch from simple, straightforward text labels for various buttons to attractive but largely incomprehensible icons.
Here's what Gmail looks like now:
And here's what it looked like before:
Do you miss "before" as much as I do? Then you'll be glad to hear that Google now gives you the option of going back in time, interface-wise.
Just open up Gmail in your browser, click the little gear icon in the upper-right corner, and then click Settings.
With the General tab selected, look for the Button Labels option and click on Text. Scroll down to the bottom, click Save Changes, and you're done!
Now that's an interface I can understand. Curiously, and amusingly, that little gear icon remains a gear. Guess Google thinks that symbol is universally recognized. I disagree: if you're going to use an icon for settings, I think a wrench is more logical. Don't agree? What symbol would you suggest?
Contributing Editor Rick Broida writes about business and consumer technology. Ask for help with your PC hassles at email@example.com, or try the treasure trove of helpful folks in the PC World Community Forums. Sign up to have the Hassle-Free PC newsletter e-mailed to you each week.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts