IBM acquires BI software maker Varicent
IBM will add Varicent's business intelligence software to its portfolio of analysis packages
IDG News Service - Adding to its already considerable line of analysis software and expertise, IBM announced Friday that it has acquired business intelligence software provider Varicent Software.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Based in Toronto, Varicent was a privately held company founded in 2003. It has more than 180 corporate customers, including banks, insurance companies, retailers, information technology and telecommunications providers. Starwood Hotels, Hertz and Office Depot have used the company's products.
Varicent software collects and compiles reports of sales data from different systems, such as finance, sales, human resources and IT departments. Such data can then be used to determine employee compensation, streamline territory assignments, manage sales quotas, and report on and analyze sales activities.
The software will be folded into IBM's Smarter Analytics line of software packages, joining analysis software from previous acquisitions, including Algorithmics, Clarity Systems, OpenPages, Cognos and SPSS. IBM has been deploying software from these acquisitions into packages, called Smarter Analytics Signature Solutions, that address specific needs such as fraud detection, financial operations and customer service.
IBM expects to generate $16 billion in the sales of data analysis systems and services by 2015. The company has almost 9,000 consultants and operational personnel devoted to business analysis systems. It also employs 400 researchers in the field, who are expected to secure hundreds of patents a year.
- Deep Security +VMware vSphere with Operations Management Most midsize organizations are highly virtualized on VMware, and while this has produced significant savings, it also has created new challenges when it...
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Fundamentals of the Unified Communications BE 6000 The Cisco Business Edition 6000 delivers the superior performance, system redundancy, and broad application integration you need. Well suited for businesses with 100...
- Cisco Collaboration for Midsize Business Learn what Cisco Collaboration Solutions can do for your midsize business. In this 2-minute video, see how collaboration tools can make your business... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!