IBM acquires BI software maker Varicent
IBM will add Varicent's business intelligence software to its portfolio of analysis packages
IDG News Service - Adding to its already considerable line of analysis software and expertise, IBM announced Friday that it has acquired business intelligence software provider Varicent Software.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Based in Toronto, Varicent was a privately held company founded in 2003. It has more than 180 corporate customers, including banks, insurance companies, retailers, information technology and telecommunications providers. Starwood Hotels, Hertz and Office Depot have used the company's products.
Varicent software collects and compiles reports of sales data from different systems, such as finance, sales, human resources and IT departments. Such data can then be used to determine employee compensation, streamline territory assignments, manage sales quotas, and report on and analyze sales activities.
The software will be folded into IBM's Smarter Analytics line of software packages, joining analysis software from previous acquisitions, including Algorithmics, Clarity Systems, OpenPages, Cognos and SPSS. IBM has been deploying software from these acquisitions into packages, called Smarter Analytics Signature Solutions, that address specific needs such as fraud detection, financial operations and customer service.
IBM expects to generate $16 billion in the sales of data analysis systems and services by 2015. The company has almost 9,000 consultants and operational personnel devoted to business analysis systems. It also employs 400 researchers in the field, who are expected to secure hundreds of patents a year.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts