Microsoft to start charging for Bing search API
Microsoft will stop offering its API for free, bringing it in line with Google's practice of charging for access
IDG News Service - Microsoft will begin charging developers to use the API (application programming interface) for its Bing search engine, the company announced Thursday.
Developers will pay a minimum monthly subscription fee of $40, Microsoft said. It will collect the fee through the Windows Azure Marketplace, where the API will be hosted. All users will move to the pay-per-use regime within a few months, it said.
The Bing API allows developers to incorporate Bing search results into their applications. Microsoft said the changes will give them "fresher results, improved relevancy and more opportunities to monetize their usage of the Search API."
The change will involve "a new API end point, moderate changes to the request and response schemas, and a new security requirement," Microsoft said.
Bing's share of the search market recently hovered at around 15%, according to comScore. Google, which gets a dominant 66% of all search queries, already charges developers who make more than 100 queries a day to its search API.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts