ICANN postpones cutoff date for new gTLD applications after glitch
The organization took the application system offline after finding a software glitch
IDG News Service - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has postponed the last date for applications for new generic top-level domains (gTLDs) on its application system to April 20, after it detected a technical issue with the software.
The organization said in a statement that it had to take the TLD application system (TAS) offline temporarily after it learned of a possible glitch in the software that has allowed "a limited number of users to view some other users' file names and user names in certain scenarios."
"Out of an abundance of caution, we took the system offline to protect applicant data. We are examining how this issue occurred and considering appropriate steps forward," ICANN chief operating officer Akram Atallah said in a statement on Thursday.
TAS will be shut down until Tuesday at 23:59 UTC, unless otherwise notified before that time, ICANN said.
The last date for submitting applications was April 12.
The board of directors of ICANN approved in June last year an increase in the number of gTLDs from the current 22. The gTLD plan is expected to bring significant benefits to Internet users, including the ability to create new TLDs in non-Latin, non-English scripts. But trademark owners have objected to the plan, saying it will be difficult to protect their intellectual property on hundreds or thousands of new TLDs.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
All Internet White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!