ICANN postpones cutoff date for new gTLD applications after glitch
The organization took the application system offline after finding a software glitch
IDG News Service - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has postponed the last date for applications for new generic top-level domains (gTLDs) on its application system to April 20, after it detected a technical issue with the software.
The organization said in a statement that it had to take the TLD application system (TAS) offline temporarily after it learned of a possible glitch in the software that has allowed "a limited number of users to view some other users' file names and user names in certain scenarios."
"Out of an abundance of caution, we took the system offline to protect applicant data. We are examining how this issue occurred and considering appropriate steps forward," ICANN chief operating officer Akram Atallah said in a statement on Thursday.
TAS will be shut down until Tuesday at 23:59 UTC, unless otherwise notified before that time, ICANN said.
The last date for submitting applications was April 12.
The board of directors of ICANN approved in June last year an increase in the number of gTLDs from the current 22. The gTLD plan is expected to bring significant benefits to Internet users, including the ability to create new TLDs in non-Latin, non-English scripts. But trademark owners have objected to the plan, saying it will be difficult to protect their intellectual property on hundreds or thousands of new TLDs.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!