ICANN postpones cutoff date for new gTLD applications after glitch
The organization took the application system offline after finding a software glitch
IDG News Service - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has postponed the last date for applications for new generic top-level domains (gTLDs) on its application system to April 20, after it detected a technical issue with the software.
The organization said in a statement that it had to take the TLD application system (TAS) offline temporarily after it learned of a possible glitch in the software that has allowed "a limited number of users to view some other users' file names and user names in certain scenarios."
"Out of an abundance of caution, we took the system offline to protect applicant data. We are examining how this issue occurred and considering appropriate steps forward," ICANN chief operating officer Akram Atallah said in a statement on Thursday.
TAS will be shut down until Tuesday at 23:59 UTC, unless otherwise notified before that time, ICANN said.
The last date for submitting applications was April 12.
The board of directors of ICANN approved in June last year an increase in the number of gTLDs from the current 22. The gTLD plan is expected to bring significant benefits to Internet users, including the ability to create new TLDs in non-Latin, non-English scripts. But trademark owners have objected to the plan, saying it will be difficult to protect their intellectual property on hundreds or thousands of new TLDs.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts