IBM, Red Hat to join OpenStack Foundation
Managers behind the OpenStack project work to finalize a foundation to support the software
IDG News Service - The open-source OpenStack cloud infrastructure stack has gained a number of additional powerful allies, as IBM and Red Hat have both agreed to support the OpenStack Foundation, organizers behind the soon-to-be-created organization announced Wednesday.
Both companies have agreed to join the foundation as platinum members, meaning they will contribute $500,000 per year for the next three years. The companies will also contribute code changes to the software stack as well.
In addition to these two companies, AT&T, Canonical, Hewlett-Packard, Nebula, Rackspace and SUSE are also planning to sign on as platinum members to the foundation.
Last year, Rackspace, which has been overseeing the OpenStack development process, announced that it would spin off the OpenStack project as a stand-alone foundation. Since then, the project's managers and contributors have been working out the details of how the foundation would work.
The group expects to make more announcements about the foundation's progress next week at the OpenStack Spring Conference, being held in San Francisco.
With the legal help of the committed sponsors, the organizers behind the foundation will write a set of bylaws for the organization, which then will be posted for community review. They expect to ratify the final draft by September.
A number of other companies have pledged their support as well at a lower level, including Cisco, ClearPath Networks, Cloudscaling, Dell, DreamHost, NetApp, Piston Cloud Computing and Yahoo. This second tier, called the gold level, requires contributions between $50,000 and $200,000 a year, depending on company revenue.
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!