EMC unveils preconfigured private cloud for partners
VSPEX platform includes tech from multiple partners like Cisco, Citrix, Intel and Brocade
Computerworld - EMC today announced a pre-configured private cloud platform created through an alliance with six hardware and software vendors.
EMC will sell the new VSPEX Proven Infrastructure cloud through its Velocity Program channel partners, who can rebrand the platform.
Some of the initial 13 channel partners that will sell the offering include Arrow Electronics, Avnet, Ingram Micro, WestconGroup and SiS.
"EMC will be doing a lot to build the brand and customer demand for VSPEX," said Gregg Ambulos, senior vice president of global channel sales at EMC.
EMC learned not to compete with its channel partners after many were not happy when the storage vendor also offered its Atmos public cloud storage service through its direct sales force.
The new VSPEX Proven Infrastructure includes EMC's VNX and VNXe hybrid storage arrays, along with Avamar software and Data Domain backup appliances. The cloud platform also includes processors from Intel, switches from Brocade, servers from Cisco, and software from Citrix, Microsoft HyperV and VMware.
Avamar and Data Domain products will offer data deduplication to users, while EMC's Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST), will offer data migration between varying disk storage arrays based on data use patterns.
Ambulos said that since delivering the vBlocks integrated computing system through EMC's Virtual Computing Environment alliance with Cisco, sales have soared.
"What we heard from customers is there were times when they wanted more choice in terms of components with regard to private cloud," he said.
"By integrating these technologies tightly with the hypervisor and end-user computing environments, customers can also benefit from simpler administration and lower management costs," EMC stated in a news release.
There are initially 14 VSPEX configurations, which EMC said represent the most popular use cases for companies moving to cloud computing.
For private cloud deployments VSPEX users have the option of running VMware vSphere 5.0 or Microsoft Windows Hyper-V from 50-250 virtual machines. For end-user computing deployments, users can choose between VMware View and Citrix XenDesktop from 50 to 2000 virtual desktops.
EMC said additional VSPEX configurations will be made available based on partner demand.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Maximize Strategic Flexibility by Building an Open Hybrid Cloud Choosing how to build a cloud is the biggest strategic decision IT leaders will make this decade. It determines their organizational competitiveness, flexibility,...
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts