Citrix buys Podio for social collaboration, project management software
The move rounds out Citrix's line of GoTo cloud services
IDG News Service - Citrix said Wednesday it has acquired Podio, maker of a cloud-based software platform for project management and collaboration. Terms were not disclosed.
Podio's technology is aimed at small and medium-sized businesses and allows users to create workspaces, wherein specific groups of employees and clients can collaborate on a given project. Its cloud delivery model is ideal for distributed teams as well as mobile workers, Citrix said.
An App Builder toolset provides the ability to tweak the system's functions and workflows. The company also has an App Market where customers can download and share apps they build, currently at no charge.
Podio's website also positions its software as ideal for CRM (customer relationship management) tasks, such as tracking leads and sales and sharing information across sales teams, as well as employee recruitment.
In addition, it is possible to integrate with or embed Podio into on-premises applications and other cloud services, such as Dropbox and Google Apps, Citrix said in a statement.
Citrix may have been interested in Podio for the seeming breadth of its capabilities, as it competes to varying degrees with those products as well as project management software like Basecamp and enterprise social networking applications such as Jive and Yammer.
The acquisition also reflects a broader trend, according to one observer.
"This is Citrix's entrance into the 'future of work' software space," said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research. "When you think about where you work, what you work on it, when you work, and even the reasons for why you work, they're changing."
Citrix is planning to discuss its intentions for Podio at next month's Synergy conference in San Francisco.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- AIIM SharePoint Industry Watch AIIM surveyed its 65,000 community members to look at how the enterprise is reacting to social aspects, why organizations are exploring social, who...
- Managing Social Content to Maximize Value and Minimize Risk In this AIIM white paper, you will learn about the roles of content publishing systems and content management systems in social business strategies...
- Is There Still a Case for PMO? PMOs haven't always worked for all companies all of the time. Smart companies should review their PMO needs and activities through a PMO...
- Ready, Set, Go! or Slow? Leveraging the Cloud for On-Demand Performance Testing Combining traditional and cloud-based testing can extend web performance capabilities, making managing the web more successful for both marketing and IT.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Project Management White Papers | Webcasts