Citrix buys Podio for social collaboration, project management software
The move rounds out Citrix's line of GoTo cloud services
IDG News Service - Citrix said Wednesday it has acquired Podio, maker of a cloud-based software platform for project management and collaboration. Terms were not disclosed.
Podio's technology is aimed at small and medium-sized businesses and allows users to create workspaces, wherein specific groups of employees and clients can collaborate on a given project. Its cloud delivery model is ideal for distributed teams as well as mobile workers, Citrix said.
An App Builder toolset provides the ability to tweak the system's functions and workflows. The company also has an App Market where customers can download and share apps they build, currently at no charge.
Podio's website also positions its software as ideal for CRM (customer relationship management) tasks, such as tracking leads and sales and sharing information across sales teams, as well as employee recruitment.
In addition, it is possible to integrate with or embed Podio into on-premises applications and other cloud services, such as Dropbox and Google Apps, Citrix said in a statement.
Citrix may have been interested in Podio for the seeming breadth of its capabilities, as it competes to varying degrees with those products as well as project management software like Basecamp and enterprise social networking applications such as Jive and Yammer.
The acquisition also reflects a broader trend, according to one observer.
"This is Citrix's entrance into the 'future of work' software space," said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research. "When you think about where you work, what you work on it, when you work, and even the reasons for why you work, they're changing."
Citrix is planning to discuss its intentions for Podio at next month's Synergy conference in San Francisco.
- IT Skills Proficiency Tool This tool helps you determine if your team has the right skill sets and what gaps need to be filled. By evaluating your...
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Geek's Guide to Presenting to Business People Watch this on-demand webinar with Paul Glen, author of "Leading Geeks," to learn how to effectively introduce technical initiatives to non-technical users (executives... All Project Management White Papers | Webcasts