Nokia offers Lumia 900 exchange, credits as problem surfaces
Nokia found a memory management issue that could lead sometimes to loss of data connectivity
IDG News Service - Nokia said it had discovered a memory management issue on Lumia 900 smartphones offered on AT&T's network, that in some cases could lead to a loss of data connectivity.
The company said it identified a software issue for which it has developed a solution. The problem had disturbed a number of users who had bought the Windows phone that went on sale from Easter Sunday.
Lumia 900 users have the option of updating their device with the software fix on or around Monday, or swapping their current Lumia 900 for an updated version. As a "gesture of goodwill" users who have purchased the device or will purchase one by April 21 will receive a US$100 credit to their AT&T bill, Nokia said in a blog post. AT&T is selling the phone at $100 with a two-year contract.
The move by Nokia has delighted users. "This is beyond a gesture of good will...this is the kind of a response by a company that cements customers for life," said user Jim Linehan in a response to the Nokia offer.
The Lumia 900 is seen as critical to Nokia's attempt to renew its presence in the U.S. market, and to Microsoft in its bid to counter phones running the Android operating system.
The software update will be available both through Zune on Windows and Windows Phone Connector on Mac. Nokia said late Wednesday in a reply to a question on its blog that it did not have an exact date for when the updated phones will arrive in stores, but any phone can be updated when the new software arrives on or around Monday.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Performance Management: The Mobile App Development Playbook This comprehensive 16 page Forrester Research, Inc. report, authored by Jeffrey Hammond, Forrester VP and Principal Analyst, details a number of valuable, commonly...
- New Problems Require Innovative Solutions The mobile market is expected to be worth $25 billion by 2015
- Getting Agnostic about Mobile Devices The idea of being able to interact with customers, prospects, and stay attuned to competitive pressures is not new, but the velocity at...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts