Nokia offers Lumia 900 exchange, credits as problem surfaces
Nokia found a memory management issue that could lead sometimes to loss of data connectivity
IDG News Service - Nokia said it had discovered a memory management issue on Lumia 900 smartphones offered on AT&T's network, that in some cases could lead to a loss of data connectivity.
The company said it identified a software issue for which it has developed a solution. The problem had disturbed a number of users who had bought the Windows phone that went on sale from Easter Sunday.
Lumia 900 users have the option of updating their device with the software fix on or around Monday, or swapping their current Lumia 900 for an updated version. As a "gesture of goodwill" users who have purchased the device or will purchase one by April 21 will receive a US$100 credit to their AT&T bill, Nokia said in a blog post. AT&T is selling the phone at $100 with a two-year contract.
The move by Nokia has delighted users. "This is beyond a gesture of good will...this is the kind of a response by a company that cements customers for life," said user Jim Linehan in a response to the Nokia offer.
The Lumia 900 is seen as critical to Nokia's attempt to renew its presence in the U.S. market, and to Microsoft in its bid to counter phones running the Android operating system.
The software update will be available both through Zune on Windows and Windows Phone Connector on Mac. Nokia said late Wednesday in a reply to a question on its blog that it did not have an exact date for when the updated phones will arrive in stores, but any phone can be updated when the new software arrives on or around Monday.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!