Google Chrome browser tabs can travel from device to device
Users who are signed in can call up Chrome browser tabs opened on another device
IDG News Service - Tabs opened in the Google Chrome browser will soon travel with the user to other devices so long as the user is signed in, according to a company blog post.
The feature is intended to appeal to users who access the Internet from multiple devices.
"Imagine you've looked up directions to a cool new restaurant on your home computer," the Google blog post posits. "Later, when you're leaving work, you realize you can't quite remember how to get there. If only you could quickly pull up the same directions on your office computer with one click!"
Each time a signed-in user opens a new tab in Chrome, he or she will see an "other devices" menu item. Below each device, the names of several recent tabs appear. If the user imports a tab from another advice, its navigational history comes with it, meaning that the browser's back and forward arrows will work.
At least initially, the traveling tabs will only be available to users of Chrome's desktop and Android beta channels. Google says it expects to roll out the feature over the next few weeks.
Cameron Scott covers search, web services and privacy for The IDG News Service. Follow Cameron on Twitter at CScott_IDG.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!