Twitterverse in uproar over Facebook's Instagram buy
Instagram users threaten to delete their accounts
Computerworld - Soon after Facebook announced today that it was buying Instagram, maker of the popular photo-sharing app, for $1 billion, Twitter began to light up with talk about it.
Most Twitter users were saying they are unhappy about the pending purchase. They complained about the move and some threatened to delete their Instagram accounts. Several blogs quickly began posting information on how they could do that.
News of the acquisition hit when Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg posted a blog about the purchase on the social networking site. The acquisition, which Facebook hopes to finalize by later this quarter, comes just as the social network is preparing for its initial public offering.
But as executives at Facebook and Instragram were likely celebrating the deal, many people in Twitterville were having the opposite reaction.
@MadebyJay tweeted, "Prepare for instagram to be downgraded because of Facebook."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts