BAT signs Â£132m deal for cloud-based SAP
Company wants single instance of SAP across 65 countries
Computerworld UK - British American Tobacco (BAT) has signed a seven-year 160 million (APS132 million) cloud-based SAP business software deal with Deutsche Telekom's IT subsidiary T-Systems.
The cloud contract will help BAT support its 200-plus brand portfolio, including Dunhill, Kent, Pall Mall and Lucky Strike.
BAT uses SAP systems to operate its businesses around the world and is investing in a consolidation programme that will culminate in a single instance of SAP operating in 65 global markets by 2016.
Over a two-year period BAT and T-Systems will move the business software into the cloud "so that SAP services will exactly mirror BAT's cyclical demands and will couple cost to real usage", said BAT.
Phil Colman, BAT CIO, said: "Our IT strategy focuses on a single portfolio of connected applications running on standardised technology to drive competitive advantage across the business. The T-Systems deal will help us to deliver that strategy."
As part of the contract T-Systems will consolidate currently ten international BAT data centres into three global data centres in Europe, Asia and South America.
SAP recently launched a multi-tenant version of its Business One ERP suite, which will be sold exclusively through partners as Business One OnDemand. Multi-tenancy is a software architecture commonly used by SaaS vendors, where multiple customers share the same instance of an application but with their corporate data locked away from each other.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts