Sidebar: Tips for Coping With Disasters
- Choose vendors that are proactive and don't require prodding to upgrade or test your disaster recovery plan.
- Don't test people; test your disaster recovery plan. People come and go. Make the plan easy to follow and use.
- After a disaster, don't count on employees being willing to fly to alternate work sites.
- Distribute key disaster recovery personnel across many geographic locations.
- Turn disaster recovery data centers into active work sites.
- Disaster recovery plans are living, breathing things. Keep them up to date and make sure employees are well versed in them.
- Seek vendors with plenty of longevity and geographically dispersed offices for disaster recovery.
- Make sure portals to your outsourcing vendor are dedicated or have enough bandwidth to handle multiple companies seeking fast restores.
- Make sure that not just your vendor but you understand how to back up and restore systems.
- Verify that backup tapes can restore data.
- Train and involve all IT personnel in the disaster recovery process.
Read more about Disaster Recovery in Computerworld's Disaster Recovery Topic Center.
- IT Security - Fighting the Silent Threat "IT Security - Fighting the Silent Threat" is a global report into business attitudes and opinions on IT security. Download the report now...
- Cutting Complexity - Simplifying Security This white paper looks at how the latest IT Systems Management solutions can simplify and automate a vast range of routine IT management...
- Your Data under Siege: Defeating the Enemy of Complexity Even if you have adequate antivirus protection, are there still holes in your IT security armor? Is lack of bandwidth to manage the...
- Build Your IT Security Business Case In this latest whitepaper from Kaspersky Lab, you'll find useful facts, examples and business case arguments to help you get buy-in and commitment...
- Pre-Engineered solutions from VCE Simplify Core Infrastructure Implementation In this video, the CTO of Purdue Pharma, a privately held pharmaceutical company explains how Purdue transformed their data center infrastructure with VCE.
- Data Protection and Disaster Recovery with iSCSI and VMware Get this on demand webcast now All Disaster Recovery White Papers | Webcasts