Computerworld - AOL decommissioned nearly 10,000 servers and saved itself $5 million along the way to winning an Uptime Institute contest designed to show the high cost of running inefficient or underutilized IT equipment.
The contestants could move workloads to newer, virtualized equipment or into the cloud. Each had to provide documentation, such as work requests, recycling receipts and photographs, to verify what they had done.
AOL decommissioned 9,484 servers last year, or about a quarter of its servers worldwide, Uptime said.
Its savings included $1.65 million in energy bills, $2.2 million in OS licenses and $62,000 in hardware maintenance costs.
The Internet services company also gained $1.2 million from scrap and resale, and reduced its carbon emissions by 20 tons, Uptime added.
The net savings came to about $5 million, said Brenda Rian, an AOL senior manager.
AOL bought new hardware to replace most of the decommissioned servers, so it cut its server count by only about 1,000, said Rian. But the new gear is virtualized and more energy-efficient, so AOL's utility bills are lower than they once were, she added.
Contest runner-up NBC Universal cut its server total by 284, or 17%.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!