Dell to acquire modernization specialist Make Technologies
Dell announces its third enterprise-related acquisition of the week
IDG News Service - Dell plans to acquire Make Technologies, which specializes in helping businesses replace outdated IT systems, the company said Thursday, marking its third enterprise-related acquisition announcement this week.
Make Technologies aims to reduce costs for companies that use business-critical legacy systems, which are old applications or computer systems that continue to be used, even if there are newer products that do a better job and are often cheaper to run.
Make Technologies migrates those legacy systems to a cloud infrastructure or other open standardized platforms. Dell is going to acquire the company to add a faster, more reliable and cost-effective approach to the re-engineering of applications, the company said.
Make Technologies provides automated application and code migration tools that help migrate legacy applications to a more modern architecture.
Terms of the deal to buy Make Technologies, which is based in Vancouver, British Columbia, were not disclosed. The approximately 100 Make Technologies employees will be added to the Dell Service team, and the deal is expected to close in the second quarter of the company's fiscal year.
On Monday, Dell announced it has agreed to buy Wyse Technology, a maker of software and hardware for thin clients. And on Tuesday, Dell announced it had purchased application modernization vendor Clerity Solutions.
Dell said it plans to combine Make Technologies and Clerity into its existing Dell Services, which include application services, IT consulting and business process services.
Loek covers all things tech for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts