Mark Hurd spells out Oracle analytics vision
Oracle is staking a big claim in business analytics, from software to hardware appliances
IDG News Service - Oracle rolled out a series of announcements aimed at portraying itself as the industry's dominant player in business analytics on Wednesday, as well as one relevant to customers of rival SAP.
The company foreshadowed its intentions last month, posting a general outline of Wednesday's announcements on its website. Oracle co-President Mark Hurd provided more specifics on the news during a webcast event Wednesday from the OpenWorld conference in Tokyo.
Hurd framed his remarks around the perils and promise held in ever-increasing amounts of digital information. "The amount of data on the planet is just huge," he said. "I have bad news. It's going to get worse."
"The true question is how to get the right information to the right person at the right time to make the right decision," he added. "This is hard."
Hurd cited the example of an airline gate agent who has to determine which passenger should get the last seat on an overbooked flight.
"That decision will change the relationship between me and that airline for life," he said. "If you give it to somebody else and force me to sit waiting for three or four hours for the next flight, I'll probably never forget it. If you have to make that kind of decision hundreds of times, it's important to get it right. That's why this next generation of analytic systems are so important."
To that end, Oracle made a series of product announcements on Wednesday that highlighted the company's range of analytics software as well as its Exalytics machine, which like SAP's HANA platform, uses in-memory processing for high performance on analytic workloads.
One Oracle announcement concerned Hyperion EPM (enterprise performance management) 18.104.22.168. Despite what its name suggests, the update is far from a point release, delivering many new features and enhancements, said Paul Rodwick, vice president of product management for Oracle BI, in an interview before Hurd's speech.
New features include application modules for project financial planning and account reconciliation; integration with Exalytics; a revamped user experience; and new tie-ins between Hyperion Data Relationship Management with Oracle E-Business Suite 12.1 and Fusion Financials, allowing "faster and easier integration of chart of accounts and other financial master data across ERP applications," Oracle said.
Also Wednesday, Oracle announced Endeca Information Discovery, a result of last year's purchase of Endeca. The system allows users to comb through structured as well as unstructured data in iterative "model-as-you-go" fashion, according to a statement.
That capability is combined with "a user experience born out of consumer e-commerce," Oracle said. The platform is being used for purposes such as analyzing insurance claims and social media "sentiment analysis," according to Oracle.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- Automation for a Better Tomorrow Check out the five most common annoyances facing enterprise IT service desks today, and how automation can resolve all of them. Download the...
- Beyond the Enterprise App Store Leverage proactive, secure and automated IT Service delivery to move beyond the traditional App Store and empower your users. Read the white paper...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments Read this white paper for tips on how to prepare critical applications to be securely accessed from an array of company-owned and personal...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- On-Demand Webinar: Beyond the Enterprise App Store If you already have a few projects that are RED on your project timeline then join us so you can free up your...
One Storefront to Rule Them All
Take the load off managing mobile users with IT service request and delivery across all platforms!
Give your users the on-demand, enterprise app...
All Applications White Papers |