StorSimple extends portfolio of cloud-connected storage appliances
The products can connect to multiple public clouds at the same time
Integrated on-premise and cloud-based storage is a growing product category with a number of vendors vying for attention. Just like with many other cloud-based services, increased simplicity is one of the purported advantages.
"Our goal is to have an appliance that somebody can put in place and integrate with the cloud very quickly, that has encryption and takes care of WAN bandwidth issues using data reduction technologies like de-duplication and compression," said Marc Farley, senior director of community and customer programs.
With those features and integration with multiple cloud services -- including ones offered by Amazon, Google, Microsoft and Rackspace -- the company hopes it can break down a lot of the barriers preventing enterprises from using the cloud for storage.
Customers can combine disparate storage systems for primary storage, archival, backup and disaster recovery in the cloud, according to Farley.
The new arrivals in StorSimple's product portfolio are the 5020, 5520, 7020 and 7520 appliances, which offer local capacities between 2TB and 20TB. With the help of data reduction the effective local capacity goes up by a factor of two to five, according to a spec sheet on StorSimple's website.
StorSimple's support for multiple clouds is one of its most important features. Users can send data from different applications to different clouds simultaneously, Farley said.
"We started doing most of our work with Windows Azure and Amazon Web Services, and just for what its worth, the Windows Azure cloud is very good for storage," said Farley.
The company is not in the business of consulting with enterprises on what cloud they should pick, but in sales situations it may help people determine which one is the best fit for their environment, according to Farley.
So far, about 10% of StorSimple's users have taken advantage of the ability to use multiple clouds.
"It's still new functionality. But people have started to get their feet wet," said Farley, who thinks more enterprises will use multiple clouds in the future.
StorSimple 5020 and 7020 have already achieved VMware Ready certification and the 5520 and 7520 are expected to achieve the same before the end the second quarter. Being certified by VMware is an important step for StorSimple.
"It helps immeasurably ... Being on the hardware compatibility list with VMware is huge for VMware administrators. A lot of them won't work with products that aren't on it," said Farley.
The company's products are also certified for Microsoft's Hyper-V.
All four appliances are shipping, and pricing starts at $40,000.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts