Dell buys application modernization firm Clerity
The deal will give Dell technology for re-hosting mainframe applications
IDG News Service - Dell said Tuesday it has purchased application modernization vendor Clerity Solutions, in its second enterprise software-related acquisition news this week.
On Monday, Dell announced it has agreed to buy Wyse Technology, maker of software and hardware for thin clients. Now the Clerity deal, whose financial terms were not disclosed, will give Dell technology for transitioning applications now running on older mainframe systems to newer architectures, including cloud hosting platforms.
Clerity's tools automate the migration of legacy applications to new systems, reducing the amount of re-testing and staff training, according to a statement.
The Chicago company has about 70 workers, who will become part of Dell's services division. It competes with vendors such as Micro Focus and CA Technologies.
Earlier this year, Dell tapped former CA Technologies CEO John Swainson to lead a newly formed software division. Observers expected Swainson to begin making a number of acquisitions to build out the business, as he was known for doing at CA, with a focus on system management and cloud services.
While Dell's applications strategy has seemed geared more toward smaller and medium-sized businesses versus the large enterprises that are more likely to be using mainframes, the Clerity deal doesn't signal a schism, said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research.
"While they're trying to get to the SMBs, they're also in the enterprise when you think of the size of contracts they have, as well the public sector with the government," he said.
Swainson also clearly sees value in the mainframe modernization market, according to Wang. "There's still a lot of money to be made just managing application lifecycle," he said. "[Customers] are trying to automate these application lifecycle processes so they can go do something else."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Mobile Expense Management--Picking up the Money on the Ground Integrating and managing mobility expenses across multiple carriers can generate savings and improve organizational decision making.
- Partners in Mobile Device Management: AirWatch & CDW When it comes to Mobile Device Management, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why CDW partners with industry...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts