Dell buys application modernization firm Clerity
The deal will give Dell technology for re-hosting mainframe applications
IDG News Service - Dell said Tuesday it has purchased application modernization vendor Clerity Solutions, in its second enterprise software-related acquisition news this week.
On Monday, Dell announced it has agreed to buy Wyse Technology, maker of software and hardware for thin clients. Now the Clerity deal, whose financial terms were not disclosed, will give Dell technology for transitioning applications now running on older mainframe systems to newer architectures, including cloud hosting platforms.
Clerity's tools automate the migration of legacy applications to new systems, reducing the amount of re-testing and staff training, according to a statement.
The Chicago company has about 70 workers, who will become part of Dell's services division. It competes with vendors such as Micro Focus and CA Technologies.
Earlier this year, Dell tapped former CA Technologies CEO John Swainson to lead a newly formed software division. Observers expected Swainson to begin making a number of acquisitions to build out the business, as he was known for doing at CA, with a focus on system management and cloud services.
While Dell's applications strategy has seemed geared more toward smaller and medium-sized businesses versus the large enterprises that are more likely to be using mainframes, the Clerity deal doesn't signal a schism, said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research.
"While they're trying to get to the SMBs, they're also in the enterprise when you think of the size of contracts they have, as well the public sector with the government," he said.
Swainson also clearly sees value in the mainframe modernization market, according to Wang. "There's still a lot of money to be made just managing application lifecycle," he said. "[Customers] are trying to automate these application lifecycle processes so they can go do something else."
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts