Dell buys application modernization firm Clerity
The deal will give Dell technology for re-hosting mainframe applications
IDG News Service - Dell said Tuesday it has purchased application modernization vendor Clerity Solutions, in its second enterprise software-related acquisition news this week.
On Monday, Dell announced it has agreed to buy Wyse Technology, maker of software and hardware for thin clients. Now the Clerity deal, whose financial terms were not disclosed, will give Dell technology for transitioning applications now running on older mainframe systems to newer architectures, including cloud hosting platforms.
Clerity's tools automate the migration of legacy applications to new systems, reducing the amount of re-testing and staff training, according to a statement.
The Chicago company has about 70 workers, who will become part of Dell's services division. It competes with vendors such as Micro Focus and CA Technologies.
Earlier this year, Dell tapped former CA Technologies CEO John Swainson to lead a newly formed software division. Observers expected Swainson to begin making a number of acquisitions to build out the business, as he was known for doing at CA, with a focus on system management and cloud services.
While Dell's applications strategy has seemed geared more toward smaller and medium-sized businesses versus the large enterprises that are more likely to be using mainframes, the Clerity deal doesn't signal a schism, said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research.
"While they're trying to get to the SMBs, they're also in the enterprise when you think of the size of contracts they have, as well the public sector with the government," he said.
Swainson also clearly sees value in the mainframe modernization market, according to Wang. "There's still a lot of money to be made just managing application lifecycle," he said. "[Customers] are trying to automate these application lifecycle processes so they can go do something else."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts