Samsung delays Galaxy Tab 2 family launch until end of April
More work on Android 4.0 is needed before the products can ship, according to Samsung
IDG News Service - Samsung's low-cost tablets, the Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) and Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), have been delayed, and will now start shipping in the U.K at the end of April, the company said Tuesday.
When Samsung announced the two products in February, it said they would arrive in U.K. stores in March, and then be rolled out globally. But the end of March came and went, and the tablets didn't go on sale.
The reason for the delay is that Samsung and Google need some more time to work on the Ice Cream Sandwich version of the Android mobile operating system, according to a spokesman at Samsung, who didn't want to elaborate on the details.
Both tablets will run the latest version of the Android OS. When it was launched, the Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) was expected to be the first Samsung tablet to get the latest version of Android.
This is the second official setback for Samsung as it rolls out new devices based on Android 4.0 and upgrades existing products. Last month, the company said the upgrade for the original Galaxy Note would arrive during the second quarter, later than its original plan to begin the upgrade process during the first three months of 2012.
However, Samsung has started upgrading the Galaxy S II phone.
Other phones and tablets that will at some point be upgraded include the Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy R, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, 7.7, 8.9, 8.9 LTE and 10.1, according to Samsung.
When they eventually ship, the Galaxy Tab 2 models will be available in 3G and Wi-Fi versions. The Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) has a 7-inch screen with a 1024-by-600 pixel resolution and weighs 345 grams, while the Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) has a 10.1-inch screen with a 1280-by-800 pixel resolution and weighs 588 grams.
Apart from their screen size and weight, the two tablets have a very similar hardware specification, including a 1GHz dual-core processor, two cameras, internal storage of up to 32GB and a MicroSD card slot for added capacity.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Developing a Winning Mobile Strategy: Playing Offense vs Defense Don't lose time and money with a "throw an app against a wall to see if sticks" approach to mobile. You need a...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more