IBM releases DB2 version 10, the first big upgrade in four years
IBM's newly updated flagship database can shrink storage requirements and speed query response, the company claims
IDG News Service - Sensing a change in the way customers store and analyze data, IBM has updated its flagship DB2 relational database management software to handle a wider range of data processing duties. The company has also updated its InfoSphere data warehouse software, IBM announced Tuesday.
"We believe we're in a new era of data management. The answer to every data challenge today is not to use a relational database management system," said Bernie Spang, IBM's director of strategy and marketing for database systems. "It's about using the right tool for the right job."
Version 10 of both products will be available April 30.
Both products are faster and work more efficiently, IBM claims. DB2 can cut storage space requirements by up to 90 percent, and InfoSphere can execute queries up to 10 times faster than before, according to IBM.
Both products have new capabilities as well. DB2 can now work with the World Wide Web Consortium's RDF (Resource Description Framework) data format. InfoSphere can now communicate with Apache Hadoop deployments.
DB2 version 10 is the first major update for the database system software in four years. IBM released DB2 version 10 for z/OS in 2010. This release is for Linux, Unix and Windows systems, and has a different codebase and is maintained by different set of developers from the z/OS version.
This is the first version of DB2 to support RDF. RDF stores data in three parts, a subject, a predicate and an object. The predicate describes the relationship between the two other pieces of data. Structuring data this way allows software programs to understand how disparate pieces of information may fit together. IBM uses the technology in its Rational Jazz collaboration software to identify dependencies in a software development process.
Other enhancements to DB2 include that backups can be done more quickly and basic I/O has been accelerated, IBM said.
Another feature is designed to make the database more flexible. It now features multi-temperature data management, where administrators can designate the specific storage devices for certain classes of data. Data that needs to be accessed quickly, for instance, can be stored on speedy solid-state drives, whereas less valuable data can be stored on more inexpensive, though slower, tape drives.
The software offers a new way to query temporal data, through a feature called time travel. This feature has been popular with users of the z/OS version of DB2, Spang said. A user or a program can examine data as it existed in the database during any given period of time. This can be useful in analyzing emerging trends. While programmers can already write code to extract such data, the software provides hooks to make queries easier to execute.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Databases White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!