LSI launches Nytro application acceleration cards
The cards have as much as 3.2TB of capacity
LSI's new Nytro line encompasses three product lines aimed at high-end, mid-range and low-end applications.
The new Nytro WarpDrive, LSI's new high-end product, is the second generation of its WarpDrive NAND flash card. The PCIe card comes with NAND flash capacities ranging from 200GB to 3.2TB. The card can be ordered with single-level cell (SLC) or multi-level cell (MLC) NAND. The card is intended to be used as a primary storage medium for application servers.
LSI's midrange card, the Nytro XD, combines the Nytro WarpDrive with new XD intelligent caching software, which allows the server using the card to also detect the hottest data on external storage, such as a SAN, and cache it to the NAND flash. The Nytro XD is qualified to work with SAS, Fibre Channel or iSCSI-based SANs.
The third product line, the Nytro MegaRAID, is a PCIe card that combines a small amount of NAND flash with an industry standard MegaRAID controller. The card provides application acceleration for SAS connected storage, as well as RAID protection.
LSI also announced its Nytro Predictor Software, a free tool that when downloaded onto a server analyzes workloads in order to determine how much an application will benefit from LSI's PCIe cards.
All three new Nytro cards are the first to use SandForce's flash controller chips since LSI purchased the company last year. The Nytro line is as much a strategy change as it is a new product line, according to Jamon Bowen, LSI's principal technical marketing manager.
The Nytro WarpDrive is intended for use in high-performance computing environments, online transaction processing web serving, data analytics and warehousing, and data mart and data mining.
The WarpDrive is also aimed at being a primary storage tier within a server. It uses NAND flash chips that are more than a magnitude of order denser than LSI's previous generation PCIe cards (34 nanometers vs. 50+ nanometer circuitry).
LSI's previous generation SLP-300 WarpDrive card only offered 300GB of capacity, compared with anywhere from 200GB to 3.2TB of capacity on the Nytro WarpDrive. The Nytro WarpDrive, which uses PCIe Gen.2 electronic signaling, also offers twice the performance of its predecessor.
Bowen said LSI plans on offering a Nytro WarpDrive that uses the PCIe Gen. 3 specification with 4GBps of sustained throughput in the third quarter of this year.
LSI's midrange card, the Nytro XD, is a caching device for applications data internal to a server as well as external to that box. For example, if a server is attached to DAS or a SAN, it will automatically detect the data requiring the highest throughput and place it on the NAND flash as opposed to internal hard drives.
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- CrashPlan PROe Security Because mobile laptops often are connected to unsecured networks, a very high standard of security is required to ensure privacy.
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts