LSI launches Nytro application acceleration cards
The cards have as much as 3.2TB of capacity
LSI's new Nytro line encompasses three product lines aimed at high-end, mid-range and low-end applications.
The new Nytro WarpDrive, LSI's new high-end product, is the second generation of its WarpDrive NAND flash card. The PCIe card comes with NAND flash capacities ranging from 200GB to 3.2TB. The card can be ordered with single-level cell (SLC) or multi-level cell (MLC) NAND. The card is intended to be used as a primary storage medium for application servers.
LSI's midrange card, the Nytro XD, combines the Nytro WarpDrive with new XD intelligent caching software, which allows the server using the card to also detect the hottest data on external storage, such as a SAN, and cache it to the NAND flash. The Nytro XD is qualified to work with SAS, Fibre Channel or iSCSI-based SANs.
The third product line, the Nytro MegaRAID, is a PCIe card that combines a small amount of NAND flash with an industry standard MegaRAID controller. The card provides application acceleration for SAS connected storage, as well as RAID protection.
LSI also announced its Nytro Predictor Software, a free tool that when downloaded onto a server analyzes workloads in order to determine how much an application will benefit from LSI's PCIe cards.
All three new Nytro cards are the first to use SandForce's flash controller chips since LSI purchased the company last year. The Nytro line is as much a strategy change as it is a new product line, according to Jamon Bowen, LSI's principal technical marketing manager.
The Nytro WarpDrive is intended for use in high-performance computing environments, online transaction processing web serving, data analytics and warehousing, and data mart and data mining.
The WarpDrive is also aimed at being a primary storage tier within a server. It uses NAND flash chips that are more than a magnitude of order denser than LSI's previous generation PCIe cards (34 nanometers vs. 50+ nanometer circuitry).
LSI's previous generation SLP-300 WarpDrive card only offered 300GB of capacity, compared with anywhere from 200GB to 3.2TB of capacity on the Nytro WarpDrive. The Nytro WarpDrive, which uses PCIe Gen.2 electronic signaling, also offers twice the performance of its predecessor.
Bowen said LSI plans on offering a Nytro WarpDrive that uses the PCIe Gen. 3 specification with 4GBps of sustained throughput in the third quarter of this year.
LSI's midrange card, the Nytro XD, is a caching device for applications data internal to a server as well as external to that box. For example, if a server is attached to DAS or a SAN, it will automatically detect the data requiring the highest throughput and place it on the NAND flash as opposed to internal hard drives.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts