Danone targets carbon footprint cut with SAP rollout
'Unique' emissions measurement model developed
Computerworld UK - International food group Danone has brought in SAP to enable it to measure its envirionmental footprint using a bespoke reporting platform.
Danone's product brands include Activia, Volvic, Evian, Shape, Actimel and Badoit. In 2008, Danone set an ambitious goal of a 30 percent global carbon footprint reduction by 2012 across the entire supply chain, including plants and factories, packaging and end-of-cycle disposal, transportation and storage.
"Existing solutions do not allow carbon footprint measurements to be integrated within IT operations systems across the whole product life cycle, for each and every product," said Jean-Marc Lagoutte, CIO for IT Systems at Danone.
He said Danone had designed a "unique" carbon footprint measurement model, deploying the dedicated SAP platform globally. The system is fully integrated with Danone's existing SAP infrastructure, with 80 percent of the detailed data covering the firm's whole product life cycle being automatically collected.
The goal of the system is to provide operations managers with actionable information so they can analyse strategic options and take the more environmentally sustainable action, whether it relates to product development, ingredient selection, sourcing and transportation options or even investments.
The collected data can be audited and fully traced, and is updated monthly, providing real-time insight, said Danone. To encourage executives to fully adopt the system success in achieving carbon reduction targets is an integral part of the formula used to calculate executive bonuses.
By the end of the year, the new system will be present in 40 of Danone's business units, covering around 70 percent of its revenues and over 35,000 products. Danone aims to deploy the technology for all its businesses globally, encompassing its four areas of business: fresh dairy products, bottled water, baby nutrition and medical nutrition.
SAP intends to make the green measurement and reporting platform it has developed for Danone available to other firms.
Last year Danone said it was working with IBM to provide a secure trading network to support automated business transactions with customers, business partners and suppliers.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts